Field trips and excursions
Charter bus service is a restricted purchase – only credentialed Senior Buyers in campus Supply Chain Management have the necessary skills to assess suppliers for proper compliance with state laws regarding insurance coverage, driver licensing and vehicle maintenance. Their top priority is ensuring the safety of Berkeley Law passengers by weeding out substandard companies and only using suppliers who meet stringent industry safety requirements.
Charter bus service is not eligible for payment via credit card or personal funds. If you use personal funds, you will not be reimbursed. Only suppliers approved by Supply Chain Management may be used to transport University faculty, staff, students and hosted guests. There are no exceptions to this policy.
How to order Vehicle Charter Services
- Preferred ordering method: Use the following Form in BearBuy for Contract Suppliers: “Vehicle Charter Request Form”
- If you cannot obtain the charter from the contracted suppliers in Bear Buy, for Non-Contract Suppliers use the “Non-Catalog Form”.
- The department should attach the following Required PO Documents to the Form as directed in BearBuy:
Required documents from the Department:
- Proof of Price Reasonableness & Source Justification
- Statement of Work – defining the following:
- UC Berkeley department contact information
- Name and contact information for the charter service
- Trip purpose
- Trip details
- Number of passengers
- Number of minors vs adults
- Pickup time
- Drop off time and location
- Vehicle and pickup instructions
- Vehicle type
Required documents from the Supplier:
- Conflict of Interest
- Supplier’s proposal
- Other Considerations:
- Note that charters represent a high risk to the University. Charter companies must be able to provide proof of licensing, satisfactory motor vehicle safety ratings and insurance.
- See Special Considerations for additional potential issues.
- If the service will be ongoing, contact your Campus Buyer to discuss the possibility of establishing a contract.
- The Buyer will use the above documentation to create an Independent Contractor Agreement, which will be signed by the Buyer and the Independent Contractor
Please don’t wait until the last minute – if you can anticipate your charter bus needs for future events, let Regional Shared Services work with Supply Chain Management in advance to establish a University purchase order with an approved supplier that can satisfy your trip requirements.