3L Requirements FAQ

How do I know if I am on track to meet the requirements for graduation?

Staff in the Registrar’s Office reviews your academic progress during your third year of law school to confirm that you are on track to graduate. You, too, can (and should) check your degree audit on your Cal Central ‘My Academics‘ page to confirm that your information is correct (the link is in the center column below your current enrollments). The degree audit link will generate a report of your degree requirements indicating which are satisfied, which are in progress, and which are not satisfied. Check the information carefully. If you have questions, we have an audit FAQs page to assist you. If you find discrepancies in your audit, notify the Registrar’s Office immediately.

Can you tell me about the graduation ceremony?

The law school Commencement Ceremony is normally held on the Friday after exams in the Spring Semester. Tickets are required. The Greek Theatre is the large amphitheater on Piedmont Avenue, near Hearst Street. Since the ceremony is held outside, be sure to bring lots of water and sunscreen. The ceremony generally lasts between 2-3 hours. The Greek Theatre is accessible by bus, and driving is not recommended. More information about the Commencement Ceremony will be provided by Student Services toward the end of the Spring Semester.

Will you inform me after graduation if I completed all the requirements?

Our policy is that no news is good news. Therefore, if you do not hear from us within 4 weeks after finals you may assume that you have met the requirements for graduation. If you did not meet the requirements or if we have any questions about your record we will call you before the date of the California Bar examination. When contacting you, we rely on the information you provide in Cal Central. If you haven’t recently, please go to Cal Central to confirm your address and phone number are current and correct.

Do I need to give you a form to be cleared by the Bar?

We will need to complete a Moral Character and Fitness Evaluation for you before you are cleared by the Bar. You should complete the application 6-10 months before you plan on practicing law and the Bar will forward the law school Moral Character and Fitness form to us. In order to clear you for the Bar we will also need to fill and remit the Law School Certificate. The California Law School Certificate is sent directly to the Registrar’s Office once you complete the application to take the exam. If you are taking the Bar in another state, please give us the forms needed to certify you at least a month before the bar. For more information on the bar visit the Bar Information web page.

Will you send me a final transcript?

No. This office will not send you a transcript with your final grades unless you request one. If you would like a transcript showing your final grades and that you have graduated from this institution, you may request it before you graduate. We will hold the transcripts until your grades and degree conferred are put on the transcript. We will then hold for pick-up or send the request to you as you indicated on the transcript request.

How do I receive my diploma?

About four months after your degree is conferred, the main campus Office of the Registrar will mail your diploma to the address supplied by you in Cal Central. For additional information see the campus registrar’s website at: https://registrar.berkeley.edu/academic-records/transcripts-diplomas/.

If you have not received your diploma or have additional questions, you may contact them directly at: 510-642-6765 or by visiting 120 Sproul Hall.

When will I find out if I met the requirements for the Order of the Coif?

If you have met the requirements for admission into the Order of the Coif you will be notified by the Registrar. The Order of the Coif includes your final semester’s grades and cannot be calculated until all the grades have been turned into the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar typically notifies the candidates in July. You should make sure your address is correct so we know where to find you. If you haven’t recently, please go to Cal Central to confirm your address and update as needed.

Where do I send address updates after I graduate?

Before you move away after graduation, please update your address on Cal Central. Thereafter, all address updates should be done through the Alumni & Development Office. Please email the Alumni & Development Office to update your address and learn about possible reunion activities for your class.