How to Apply

Field Placement Program banner


Field Placement and Judicial Externship Application Process:

  1. Students are encouraged to review our past, approved placements organized by section of law: civil, environmental, criminal, judicial, domestic awayaway international, and The Hague. Students are also encouraged to bring new placement ideas to us in an effort to continually expand our program. After students have an idea about a placement, schedule an advising session with us to discuss your plans and goals.
  2. Once you have lined up a field placement or judicial externship, you must complete the Field Placement Application Form (click here)Contact us if you have any concerns.
  3. In order to receive academic credit, your application must be approved by the Field Placement Director. For students working full-time (10 or more units,) they must also receive approval from the Dean of Students or the Director of Student Services. 
  4. Following approval, you will receive a course control number for the placement and the seminar, if applicable, to enroll in through CalCentral. 

Schedule an Advising Appointment         The Field Placement Application

Please note: Field placements follow the Law School’s Academic Rules in the 295 Series. In compliance with the ABA rules, first year students are not eligible for academic credit to do field placements. 

Also, please be advised that field placements and externships are credit/no credit units.  As a reminder, in order to qualify for academic honors, you must take at least 14 graded units a year.  To qualify for Order of the Coif, you must take 64 graded units while you are here.  Whether to pursue academic honors is personal for each student and this is offered as information only.  If you have any questions about these academic honors, please contact Student Services.

The Field Placement Program is governed by ABA Standard 304:  Study Outside the Classroom and Berkeley Law Academic Rule 3 – the 295 Series – (c) Limitations.