Recommended before applying for LRAP
Required for new and continuing LRAP applicants to receive a new LRAP loan
- Access the online application
- The online application cannot be saved, so make sure you have all the required materials and information before starting. If you have questions about the application or encounter unfamiliar terms, please review our LRAP application definitions and FAQs.
- Submitting an application is required each time you want to receive an LRAP loan, for new and continuing participants alike.
Required for LRAP Applications and Forgiveness Applications to certify your income at the beginning and end of a contract
- Access the LRAP Employer Verification Form
- Please upload a completed and recently signed (no more than 40 days in the past) form into the online applications for funding and forgiveness.
Determines how much of your previous LRAP loan is eligible to be forgiven, i.e. canceled
- Access the online application
- Before starting your forgiveness application, review the application checklist.
- Submitting a forgiveness application within 30 days of the end of each LRAP contract is required by the terms of your LRAP loan.
- We process forgiveness applications on a quarterly basis, so it may take a few weeks to hear back from us about your application.
To pre-qualify for LRAP if you are not yet eligible for an award
- Access the pre-qualification form
- Worried about meeting the 3.5 year LRAP deadline? You can apply to pre-qualify for 120 months of LRAP funding without having to submit an LRAP application.
- To pre-qualify, you need to be 1) in greater-than-half time and paid law-related, public interest work making under $120,000; 2) be in repayment (not in school, in a grace period, or in a forbearance or deferment (the automatic COVID forbearance doesn’t count)); 3) be enrolled in an income-driven repayment plan; and 4) have a $0 monthly payment.
- You must submit both an Employer Verification Form and documentation of your $0 payment to apply.
- To access the pre-qualification form, you will need to sign into a Google account. You may be prompted to sign in using your CalNet ID, but this can present a problem if you no longer maintain a Berkeley account. Try opening the form in a private browsing window or incognito window to sign in with your personal account. Please reach out if you encounter technical difficulties.
To apply for and remain in a federal income-driven repayment plan
- Access the application
- On studentaid.gov, you can apply to enter, recertify (annually), or recalculate (immediately) an income-driven repayment plan.
- Being on an IDR plan is a requirement for LRAP and is the best plan for those pursuing PSLF. Income-Based Repayment (IBR), Pay As You Earn (PAYE), and Saving on A Valuable Education (SAVE) are the plans that are eligible for LRAP.
To ensure you receive communications and LRAP funds as quickly as possible
- If you need to update your address, name, EFT or preferred payment method, or other information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update your information in our internal systems.
- Since we issue LRAP payments through the main campus, we also need to get your information updated with the UC Berkeley vendoring and disbursement teams. To do so, you should complete the supplier update DocuSign form. Please contact email@example.com for information about your supplier ID number, staff contact information, and other required fields.
To document your PSLF-qualifying employment and payments. Please do not submit this form to Berkeley Law–it contains confidential information and does not satisfy our employer verification requirements.
- Access the PSLF Form
- Borrowers and their employers can now sign and submit PSLF Forms digitally via DocuSign using the PSLF Help Tool.
- Submit this form to the Department of Education / MOHELA (not the Berkeley Law Financial Aid Office).
- We recommend submitting the PSLF Form annually and every time you leave a job. The form will indicate you’d like to have your employment and payments evaluated to see if they qualify for PSLF and update your PSLF payment tracker.