Financial Aid for Undocumented J.D. Students

At Berkeley Law, we are proud to welcome and support undocumented students. Although undocumented students are not eligible for federal student aid, they may be eligible for other forms of aid under certain criteria. Financial aid for the J.D. program at Berkeley Law is mainly comprised of federal loans and institutional aid. Currently the state aid for undocumented students through Berkeley remains restricted to undergraduates only who meet certain criteria.

We are dedicated to providing you the resources and options available to pursue your education in law. Please see more information below:

**New** For a limited period of time, the University of California can extend non-State financial aid to undocumented students who do not qualify for AB540 Nonresident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) exemptions, an opportunity previously that was unavailable before July 1, 2019. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Additional Resources:

Undocumented Student Program University of California *Please note, most of this information may pertain to undergraduates unless otherwise stated. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Berkeley Graduate Division: Office of Graduate Diversity

Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Financial Resources for DACA Students


California Dream Act Application (CDAA) information –  The California Dream Act Application allows students interested in attending eligible California Colleges, Universities, and Career Education Programs to apply for state financial aid. This application is unrelated to the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. Please note that Berkeley Law financial aid is not determined by the CDAA. UC Berkeley campus may use this application to determine eligibility for institutional loans or aid, depending on the academic year. Eligible students are encouraged to apply.

Income Generation Options for Undocumented Students Toolkit – An inclusive toolkit that provides income generation options to UC students and alumni, with or without work

Immigrants Rising – Law School Resource Guide For Undocumented Students: Getting To Law School -This guide is designed to help undocumented people who are interested in applying to law school understand the process.

Immigration Policy Updates & FAQ

Other Financial Aid Resources