The Public Interest and Pro Bono Graduation honors and thanks graduating Berkeley Law JD and LLM students who have demonstrated a commitment to public interest, pro bono, and social justice work.
Graduating students will be honored who have done any one of the following:
- Completed the Pro Bono Pledge; or
- Completed two summers of public interest or public service work; or
- Served as a leader for a Student-Initiated Legal Services Project (SLPS) or a Berkeley Law Alternative Service Trip (BLAST); or
- Met the requirements for the Public Interest and Social Justice Certificate or the Race and Law Certificate.
These awards are also announced at the Public Interest and Pro Bono Graduation:
- The Francine Marie Diaz Memorial Award
- The Eleanor Swift Award for Public Service
- The Kathi Pugh Award for Exceptional Mentorship
- The Pro Bono Champion Award
- The Jim Fahey Safe Homes for Women
- The Brian M. Sax Prize for Excellence in Clinical Advocacy and Sax Prize Honorable Mention
This year, we will only be presenting the above awards in person at the award ceremony. This distribution will be recorded and available for viewing after the reception.
The entire Berkeley Law community is invited, and family and friends of graduating students who are being honored are welcome and encouraged to attend.
This year, the Public Interest Working Group has opted for a hybrid ceremony and reception.
Thursday, May 11, 2023
6- 6:45 PM- Award Ceremony in Booth Auditorium
6:45- 7:30 PM- Reception on Steinhart Courtyard & the Rooftop Patio at Berkeley Law
// Thelton E. Henderson Center for Social Justice
// Clinical Program
// Career Development Office
// Pro Bono Program
// Advanced Degree Program
// Field Placement Program
// Civil Justice Research Initiative