The Contra Costa Reentry Project (CORE) assists the Contra Costa County Office of the Public Defender with its Clean Slate practice, which works to help remove the barriers that a prior conviction can present to employment, housing, public benefits, and family reunification. Students will assist attorneys and advocates in the Contra Costa County Office of the Public Defender with expungement, Proposition 47 relief, and Proposition 64 record clearance.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Research Prop 47 and Prop 64 applicants’ eligibility for reclassification or record clearance
- Draft expungement applications and petitions
- Communicate with incarcerated clients and returning citizens regarding required documentation and services provided
- Compose legal memoranda on topics related to the office’s Clean Slate practice
- Help coordinate provision of legal services at community outreach events and Clean Slate workshops
Supervision: Students in CORE provide legal services under the supervision of the Contra Costa County Office of the Public Defender.
Time Commitment: Time commitment is 20-25 hours per semester (not including transportation to/from the office).
For more information, please contact the student leaders at email@example.com.
We are grateful to our supporters:
Loren S. Lewallen
David B. Oppenheimer
Select Equity Group, Inc.