An application for the LRAP loan is required before each new LRAP cycle and an application for forgiveness is required immediately following the end of the cycle.
Application for Funding
New applicants to LRAP: within the first month of employment that you have an eligible student loan payment due
Continuing applicants: within the month after your last contract ended (assuming you have an eligible payment due and qualifying employment)
Application for Forgiveness
Within 30 days after your LRAP contract period ends
e.g.: if your contract ends April 31, your forgiveness application will be due at the end of May
Before submitting your application for LRAP support, all participants (both entering and continuing) must choose a “track”. The Standard track is only available for graduating classes prior to 2012. Graduates on the Standard track do have the option of switching to the IBR/PAYE track at a later date. Please note that if you select the IBR/PAYE track, you must follow the track for the remainder of your participation in LRAP. Please feel free to contact the LRAP Coordinator should you require assistance in choosing the most beneficial track. Compare Standard and IBR/PAYE tracks using our Comparison Chart.
Checklist for first-time applicants
Meet with an LRAP advisor sometime in 2L or 3L year (or post graduation before you enter repayment.) An LRAP appointment is a requirement to enter the program.
Employment verification form, including a copy of a published job description if available.
Verification of your IBR or PAYE repayment plan. A IBR/PAYE approval letter typically indicates your approved payment amount, when the plan begins, and when it expires. We do our best to align your LRAP loan amount with what your expected loan payments will be for the following 12 months. For this reason, it is helpful for us to know when your IBR or PAYE plan begins and when it will expire
- You may submit an LRAP application at your earliest convenience even if you don’t have a payment due yet or have not received your IBR or PAYE approval letter. Still submit your LRAP application and e-mail us a copy of your IBR or PAYE approval letter when you receive it from your loan servicer. Likewise, any documents you wish to add to your application can be e-mailed to email@example.com. Samples of IBR/PAYE approval letters from two loan servicers: FedLoan Servicing and Navient
Verification of your National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) loan indebtedness (click on “Financial Aid Review”)
Personal statement: Please describe what brought you to public service and what you see yourself doing over the next five years (approx. 1 page). Although required, the personal statement is not used to determine eligibility.
Sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer after your LRAP application has been submitted. Follow the EFT authorization instructions for UC Berkeley vendors. All new participants must resubmit their EFT authorizations even if they had an active account as a student. For first-time applicants we first have to request a vendor ID from the Disbursements Office before an EFT authorization will be accepted. Please notify us of changes (address or employment change and/or pay increase) immediately.
If you plan to pursue Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) and are in PSLF qualifying employment, eventually you will need to submit a PSLF Employment Certification Form. Please note that when you submit the PSLF Employment Certification Form, your loans may be transferred from your current loan servicer to another loan servicer called FedLoan Servicing. During this transfer, you will be unable to make payments on your loans for 30-60 days. If you’re unsure when to submit this form, please contact us.
Checklist for continuing participants
Employment verification: Employer verification is required for each cycle. However, published job descriptions need to be submitted only once with your first-time application and again when changes in responsibilities and/or employment occur.
IBR/PAYE track: Verification of your current repayment plan (IBR or PAYE) for all loans. A IBR/PAYE approval letter typically indicates your approved payment amount, when the plan begins, and when it expires.
Standard Track: We do not need proof of your repayment plan, but may require proof of your total remaining loan balances.
Private loan statement (for pre-2012 participants) that includes current balance, interest rate and monthly payments. Once you have submitted a copy of your NSLDS loan history and/or disclosure statements, you do not have to submit them again.
Processing Your Application
- We process applications in the order received and recommend that you submit all documents before the deadline.
- For late applications, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note LRAP coverage will not be granted retroactively, but starts within the month in which the application was received.
- Once we receive your application, the LRAP Coordinator will review the information and determine your eligibility and disbursement amount.
- When your eligibility has been determined, you will receive an email with a Promissory Note attached. You must submit the Promissory Note with original signatures by postal mail.
- Once we receive your Promissory Note, you will receive an email confirmation and a payment request will be submitted to the law school’s Business Services.
- Funds are made available within approximately 10 -14 days, but no earlier than four weeks prior to the eligibility period. If you do not have EFT set up, this may take 2 – 3 days longer.
Checklist for the forgiveness application
Employment verification form
Proof of loan repayment in the form of payment history or statements of payments. A 12 month payment history can typically be downloaded from your loan servicer’s online portal.
Visit our Forms page for our regularly updated application forms. If you are unable to submit the application using the web form, you may e-mail your scanned application to: email@example.com, Fax to: 510-666-3577, Send by postal mail to (may cause delays): LRAP Program University of California, Berkeley School of Law 225 Boalt Hall Berkeley, CA 94720-7220