Requesting a Financial Aid Award for a Student

This form is created and owned by the Berkeley Law Financial Aid Office and is the appropriate channel to pay the following awards to a student:

  • Prize or reward, such as writing prizes and trial competition awards.
  • Departmental scholarships/fellowships where funds are held within the Law School (not the Graduate Division.)
  • Award for a limited contribution to a one-time activity that benefits the student’s education and is related to a class or course material (so long as the student is not being compensated for work that would otherwise be fulfilled by a hired individual.

    Please keep in mind the following:

  • (1) The university is obligated under Department of Education rules to include funding in students’ financial aid packages; and
    (2) Financial assistance provided to students by the university must be handled and reported properly for tax and tax withholding purposes.

Not sure if this is the appropriate channel for “paying” a student? 

Please review the complete Berkeley Law guidance document put together by Berkeley Law Business Services, HR, and Financial Aid teams,Providing Funds to Students.”


Click Here:    Financial Aid Award Payout Request Form



1.) A student is defined as registered during the previous academic year (fall-spring-summer) and/or registered or eligible to register for the current or next academic year (fall-spring-summer)

2.) If term ‘reward’ is used, cannot be for work performed if job would otherwise be fulfilled by a hired individual. ‘Compensation’ implies work, and this implies a employee-university relationship and there are benefits & tax withholding implications. Please contact Berkeley Law HR if you have questions about this.

3.) Students should not be promised awards as if they are compensation. Financial aid (FA) awards may, in some cases, interfere with other aid sources if the student is already at their FA limit, thus a student may not always receive additional cash-in-hand as a result of your award. That said, usually awards for educational travel/research related expenses do not impact other financial aid awards, as the FA limit can be increased to accommodate actual expenses. However, especially if you are making an award to an undergraduate financial aid recipient, we cannot guarantee that a student will receive cash in hand.

4.) Fellowships are not a form of employment. They are intended to support the student’s academic goals and are considered a form of student financial aid. A fellowship differs from employment such as teaching assistant or graduate student researcher.

If you have any questions about the above information, please contact the Law School Director of Financial Aid (

Notice – Latest updates on COVID-19 policies and resources for the UC Berkeley campus community. — View Details