Concurrent & Combined Degree Programs

Concurrent Degree Programs (within UC Berkeley)

Concurrent J.D. and Master’s Programs

Students who wish to examine the law in an interdisciplinary context may arrange to pursue a J.D. degree at Berkeley Law School and a master’s degree in certain other schools or departments on the Berkeley campus.

The J.D. and a master’s degree can be earned in four instead of five years. The law school requires students to be in residence for their full first year and strongly suggests that students complete the first two years of law school before leaving for another program. The law school also prefers that students be enrolled here in their final semester. Whether students choose to begin at the law school or in their master’s program is at their discretion. However, it is highly advisable to discuss in advance the planned curriculum and schedule with the Berkeley Law Dean of Students.  

You must apply and be admitted independently to both departments. Applications either may be submitted concurrently in the same year, or they can be submitted sequentially, one year after the other. Applications to the law school are welcome from students who are in their first year in one of the other participating schools or departments. In accordance with our  GMAT policy, you may apply to the JD program with a valid GMAT score in lieu of the LSAT or GRE.

It is important that you notify both the Dean of Students and the Financial Aid Office if you are pursuing a concurrent degree. We encourage you to review financial aid and tuition information for concurrent degree programs

Degrees Offered Berkeley School or Department

Asian Studies (510) 642-0333

Energy and Resources Group (510) 642-1640


Walter A. Haas School of Business Administration (510) 642-1405

J.D./M.C.P. Department of City and Regional Planning  (510) 643-9440
J.D./M.P.P. Goldman School of Public Policy (510) 642-1940

Concurrent J.D. and Ph.D. in Jurisprudence and Social Policy

Berkeley Law students can work simultaneously toward a Ph.D. in Jurisprudence and Social Policy and the professional law degree (J.D.). Some students embark on both degree programs at the same time. Others are already enrolled in one program when they first decide to apply and to pursue study in the other program. In every case, separate application and separate admission is required to each program. Students who pursue both the J.D. and the JSP Ph.D. degrees must fulfill all of the academic requirements of each separate degree program. Yet the high level of integration permitted by having both programs in the same school typically allows joint degree students to complete both degrees faster than if they were to enroll in two different institutions.

Normative time for JSP students to finish their Ph.D. is six years and seven years if a student also earns a JD at Berkeley while in the JSP program.

It is recommended that applicants applying to both programs submit a J.D. application and Ph.D. application by December 15.

Combined Degree Programs (outside of UC Berkeley)

Some students opt to pursue a J.D. at Berkeley and a master’s degree at another institution. We have approved combined degree programs with The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University (MALD) and The John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University (MPP). Students who are enrolled in their first year at Berkeley Law, the Fletcher School, or the Kennedy School may participate in one of the combined degree programs upon admission to one of the other schools. Interested candidates must submit separate applications to the respective schools. Each school will review candidates based on its own admission criteria. Once admitted to both schools, students should coordinate their combined degree programs with the Dean of Students at Berkeley Law and the admissions and student affairs offices at the other institution.  

It is important that you notify both the Dean of Students and the Financial Aid Office if you are pursuing a combined degree. We encourage you to review financial aid and tuition information for combined degree programs