Our Most Flexible Program
Berkeley Law’s LL.M. Executive Track is specifically designed for lawyers who want an internationally renowned Berkeley Law degree but can’t leave professional or personal commitments for an entire standard academic year.
Students may focus their studies to earn a Certificate of Specialization and/or meet the requirements to become eligible to register for the California Bar Examination.
Two Possible Timelines:
Remote + Summer
- Complete your degree in one full calendar year, starting remotely in January and ending remotely in December with one in-Berkeley semester during the summer.
- Online spring and fall semesters each take approximately 15 hours of work per week or less, designed to be compatible with a busy work schedule or personal commitments.
- Summer semester is full-time, in Berkeley, with a wide variety of courses to choose from.
- Complete your degree during two consecutive 10- or 13-week summer semesters (May-August) in Berkeley.
- Unique semester structure allows students to participate in required and elective courses for full-time study in a shorter period of time.
- Fully engage in life at the law school and explore the Bay Area on weekends.
The non-traditional structure of our LL.M. executive track enables students to take the same number of units and receive the same LL.M. degree as our traditional track, but on a more flexible timeline. How do we do this? Unlike an academic year semester in which students take multiple courses at the same time, students in the executive track take 1-2 courses every few weeks with exams immediately following.
This program structure compresses our academic year course schedule, allowing students to delve deeply into a few subject matters at a time for a rigorous and intensive educational experience. The best part? After students enroll in two required courses, they are free to enroll in any of the electives they choose.
All executive track students take courses full-time during the summer semester in Berkeley. Students have a choice between two start dates and two end dates, resulting in a choice of 10-13 weeks in Berkeley during the summer. Only students in the remote + summer timeline take courses part-time in the spring and fall semesters. These part-time online courses lasts two to seven weeks followed by an exam.
The LL.M. executive track is the only degree program running at the law school during the summer semester, resulting in a tight bond among LL.M. students and faculty. Shortly after starting your semester you’ll know every person you see in the hallways.
In addition to the benefits of getting to know your fellow students and faculty in person, LL.M. executive track students take advantage of Berkeley’s location, visiting nearby companies such as Google, Facebook, and Twitter, sitting in on hearings at the local courthouses, and taking weekend trips to wine country, Lake Tahoe, or even Las Vegas.