Students participating in the Name and Gender Change Workshop will:
- Conduct intake interviews with clients seeking to obtain court-ordered name and gender changes
- Identify possible legal issues
- Research and discuss findings with supervising attorneys
- File pleadings on behalf of clients
- Discuss options with clients including changing name and gender markings on driver’s licenses, passports, and other government-issued IDs
Supervision: Students will provide legal services through NGCW under the supervision of attorneys from Berkeley Law’s clinical partner, at the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC).
Time Commitment: There will either be one training or workshop for the following months: September, October, November, February, March, and April. Students should expect a monthly commitment of 3-4 hours not including training, which will likely take 5 hours. In total, students should expect to volunteer for 20-25 hours throughout the academic year. Upon request, the NGCW will be able to provide student volunteers with opportunities to fulfill the 25 hour Dean’s Grant Requirement.
For more information, please contact the student leaders at NGWBerkeley@gmail.com.