The Library strives to provide for its authorized users:
- Access to library materials, including the opportunity to recall them according to Library policies;
- Journals, documents, books, and other materials that are complete and unmarked;
- Study and collection shelving areas free from the problems caused by food, beverages, and other damaging substances; and
- A Library environment suitable for reading, study, and activities in support of campus research and instructional programs.
Certain behaviors, including but not limited to those detailed in the following sections, conflict with these goals. They are therefore prohibited and subject to the sanctions specified further below.
Filming and Photography
There is no filming or photography in the library without advanced permission. Please contact Michael Levy, Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use and Protection of the Collection
- Removing or attempting to remove Library materials, equipment, or property without proper checkout or other official Library authorization.
- Failing either to renew or return Library materials when they are due.
- Concealing Library materials in the Library for the exclusive use of an individual or group.
- Mutilating or damaging Library materials by marking, underlining, removing pages or portions of pages, removing or defacing bindings, removing electronic theft devices, improperly using Post-Its and paper clips (e.g., in fragile materials), or in any other way damaging or defacing Library materials.
- Eating and drinking in the Library except according to the specific policies pertaining to particular areas of the Library.
- Smoking in buildings or near entrances and exits.
- Failing to adhere to copyright laws, including systematically downloading, printing, or disseminating content from UCB-licensed electronic resources in violation of copyright laws.
Use and protection of the building and library equipment
- Being in unauthorized areas of the Library, remaining in the Library after closing or when requested to leave during emergency situations or drills.
- Opening emergency exits except in emergency situations.
- Vandalizing or defacing the Library building, furniture, or equipment.
- Maliciously accessing, altering, deleting, damaging, or destroying any computer system, computer program, or data.
The Library environment
- Failing to have respectful and civil behavior to library staff and other library patrons.
- Failing to wear proper attire. Bare feet, bare chest, transparent or see-through clothing, and bathing suits are examples of improper attire.
- Maintaining a personal hygiene so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons or staff and to interfere with their use of the Library.
- Sleeping or otherwise inappropriately using Library furniture and facilities.
- Causing a disturbance or engaging in any behavior which interferes with Library activities. Proscribed behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- verbal abuse
- threats of violence
- sexual harassment
- use of “fighting words” to harass any person
- Carrying weapons in the Library unless authorized by law.
Any patron who commits or attempts to commit any of the offenses listed above, or any other behaviors illegal under the laws of the state or federal government, is subject to sanctions including:
- being asked to leave Library premises;
- being reported to the police; and
- legal prosecution