- Friday, December 8 – CSLS Visiting Scholars Speaker Series – Hadar Dancig-Rosenberg, Bar-Ilan University – “Characterizing Community Court Process through Court-hearing Observations” / Mihira Tsukasa, Kyoto University – “The Politics of Judicial Review and Judicial Independence: The Case of Japan” / Marc de Leeuw, University of New South Wales, & Sonja van Wichelen, University of Sydney, “Biolegalities: A Critical Intervention”
- Monday, January 22 – CSLS Speaker Series – Terry Maroney, Vanderbilt University – “Judicial Emotion: Investigating Its Role in Behavior, Decision-Making, and That Mysterious Thing We Call Temperament”
- Monday, January 29 – CSLS Speaker Series – Kathryn Abrams, Berkeley Law – “The Emotional Habitus of the Undocumented Immigrants’ Movement”
- Monday, February 5 – CSLS Speaker Series – Daphna Hacker, Tel Aviv University – Legalized Families in the Era of Bordered Globalization (Cambridge University Press, 2017) Co-sponsored with the Berkeley Institute for Jewish Law and Israel Studies
- Monday, February 12 – CSLS Speaker Series – Vincent Chiao, University of Toronto – Criminal Law in the Age of the Administrative State (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2018)
- Wednesday, March 14, 2018 – 4th Annual Robert A. Kagan Lecture in Law and Society – Christopher Edley, Jr., Berkeley Law – “The Regulation of Education Equity”
The Center supports theoretically-based, empirical research on new developments at the interplay of law and society in contemporary and historical contexts. While part of Berkeley’s School of Law, the Center fosters a multi- disciplinary context in which UC Berkeley faculty and graduate students from many departments interact and engage with visiting socio-legal scholars from universities in the United States and abroad.
– Jonathan Simon, Director