- Monday, November 19 – CSLS Speaker Series – Cecilia Menjivar, UCLA – “Transformative Effects of Immigration Law and Its Enforcement on Perceptions of the Self” Cosponsored with Berkeley Interdisciplinary Migration Initiative
- Monday, November 26 – CSLS Speaker Series – Michael McCann, University of Washington – Union by Law: Filipino Labor Activists, Rights Radicalism, and Racial Capitalist Empire 1900-2000
- Wednesday, December 5 – CSLS Visiting Scholars Speaker Series – Nir Kosti, Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Israel) – “The Puzzle of Legislative Division of Labor” & Yasuhiro Maruyama, Rissho University (Japan) – “Towards Japanese Penal Welfarism: Drug Treatment without Punishment?”
The Center supports theoretically-based, empirical research on new developments at the interplay of law and society in contemporary and historical contexts. While part of Berkeley’s School of Law, the Center fosters a multi- disciplinary context in which UC Berkeley faculty and graduate students from many departments interact and engage with visiting socio-legal scholars from universities in the United States and abroad.
– Jonathan Simon, Faculty Director
– Rosann Greenspan, Executive Director