The Student Travel Fund exists to support students who are interested in attending legal educational conferences and symposiums in order to advance their professional and academic development. Currently enrolled JD and LL.M students are eligible to apply for up to $200 per academic year. In order to apply for funding, please review the steps below:
Before the event:
- Complete the Student Travel Fund Application Form which is available here or in the Student Services Office. Submit completed application form to Student Services (280 Simon Hall).
- Attach information about the event (i.e. a brochure or flyer) and a summary of your budget and the total cost of attending the event
- The Dean of Students will review your application before the event. Student Services will notify you by email if your request has been approved or denied.
- If approved, you’ll need to come pick up the approved application from Student Services before the conference.
Following the Event:
- Complete the BHSA/Student Services/Alumni Fund Reimbursement Request Form. Submit to Student Services within seven days of attending the conference. You must include the following with your reimbursement request form:
- Attach itemized receipts that verify payment. The receipt must list the individual cost and items purchased.
- Attach proof of payment (options listed below):
- If you paid by credit card: Please bring in the redacted credit card statement showing your name and the amount charged in addition to the itemized receipt.
- If you paid by check: Please bring in a redacted copy of your bank statement which shows proof of the withdrawal from your account in addition to the itemized receipt.
- If you paid in cash: Please bring a copy of the itemized receipt with proof of payment in cash. This means that you will need to ask the vendor to write “Paid in Cash” on your receipt.
- Attach proof of attendance at the conference. This can include any items that show you attended (name tags, programs, selfies with the speaker, etc.)
- Attach pre-approved Student Services Travel Fund Application
If you do not submit your receipts within seven days of attending the conference, your approved funding is not guaranteed.
Notes and Restrictions:
- Every J.D. and LL.M. student is eligible to receive up to $200 in funding. You can only apply for funding once per academic year. If the amount you request is under the $200 maximum, you cannot re-apply for funding for a second conference to receive the difference. For example, if you apply for Student Services funding and only spend $50 at the conference, you will not be able to apply a second time to receive the remaining $150 that you did not spend.
- Reimbursements are disbursed through Business Financial Services at UC Berkeley. The easiest way to collect your reimbursement is through CalCentral Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). If you don’t have an EFT account set-up, we recommend you do so before submitting your reimbursement request materials as paper checks get lost in the mail. For information on setting up an EFT account visit the Student Billing Services page: http://studentbilling.berkeley.edu/eft.htm
- Funding is non-transferrable. Each student can apply and be awarded up to $200 per year. Funding cannot be combined for group travel expenses.
- Due to California’s ban on state-funded and state-sponsored travel we cannot fund travel to the following states: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas.
- We cannot provide funding for travel to job interviews or career fairs. We cannot provide funding for alcohol.