ALEXA KOENIG, Ph.D., J.D, is the Executive Director of the Human Rights Center (winner of the 2015 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions) and a lecturer at UC Berkeley School of Law, where she teaches classes on human rights and international criminal law. She co-founded and directs the Human Rights Investigations Lab, which trains undergraduate and graduate students to use online open source methods to support human rights advocacy and accountability. Alexa administers and is a member of the Technology Advisory Board of the Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court, an advisory member of FemTech, and a founding member of the board of advisors for ARCHER, a UC Berkeley-established nonprofit that leverages technology to make data-driven investigations accessible, smarter and more scalable. Alexa has won the Eleanor Swift Award for Public Service and the Phi Beta Kappa Northern California Teaching Excellence Award, among others. She has won grants from the National Science Foundation and numerous private foundations. Her research and commentary have appeared in the Annual Review of Law and Social Science, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, US News and World Reports, and elsewhere.
Alexa Koenig’s recent books include:
- Hiding in Plain Sight: The Pursuit of War Criminals from Nuremberg to the War on Terror , with Eric Stover and Victor Peskin (UC Press, 2016)
- Extreme Punishment: Comparative Studies in Detention, Incarceration and Solitary Confinement, editor with Keramet Reiter (Palgrave MacMillan, 2015)
- The Guantánamo Effect: Exposing the Consequences of U.S. Detention and Interrogation Practices, contributor with Eric Stover, Laurel Fletcher, and Stephen Smith Cody (UC Press, 2009). Additional research and commentary have appeared in such diverse outlets as the Annual Review of Law and Social Science, the International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, US News and World Reports, and elsewhere.
Recent media appearances:
- PBS NewsHour, discussing the launch of the Human Rights Investigations Lab, February 2017
- “Hiding in Plain Sight: The Pursuit of War Criminals from Nuremberg to the War on Terror,” ALOUD Podcast Series, Jan. 17, 2017
- UC Berkeley students work to authenticate photos, videos from conflict zones, ABC 7 News, July 13, 2017.