Open date: November 29th, 2018
Next review date: January 9th, 2019
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date:March 15th, 2019
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Working Title: Ocean Law & Policy Fellow
Job Classification: Assistant or Associate Specialist Location: Berkeley, CA
Salary Range: $53,500 – $65,700
Start Date: Anticipated February 4, 2019
This is a 100% time, one-year term contract position, with the
possibility of renewal.
The Center for Law, Energy & the Environment is seeking to hire a Research Fellow focused on Ocean Law & Policy.
The Center for Law, Energy & the Environment (CLEE) is based at the UC Berkeley School of Law, which benefits from one of the leading environmental law programs in the nation. Building on UC Berkeley’s history of and commitment to research and public service, CLEE leverages the intellectual resources of Berkeley Law faculty and students in furtherance of applied research in a variety of environmental and energy law and policy areas. CLEE’s research priorities include combatting climate change, advancing sustainable energy, addressing water allocation and management challenges, and sustaining healthy oceans, among other pressing environmental and energy challenges.
The Ocean Law & Policy Fellow will work on domestic and international law and policy issues. Specific research areas will depend on the Center’s current research portfolio and the Fellow’s background and interests, but will likely include: offshore renewable energy, offshore oil and gas development, law of the sea, marine scientific research, fisheries data, marine debris, and/or ocean acidification, as well as potentially other energy and environmental issues. The Fellow will collaborate with project partners at nongovernmental organizations, at other academic institutions, in both domestic and foreign governmental bodies, from the business community, and other stakeholders. The Fellow will travel occasionally within California and sometimes out of state and/or internationally.
For more information on CLEE, see clee.berkeley.edu.
- Conducting research on ocean law and policy, both domestic and international, under the direction of and in collaboration with Berkeley Law faculty, staff, and students and colleagues at other institutions;
- Drafting white papers, reports, and outreach materials (including social media, op-eds, and other) for policy-focused audiences, under the direction of faculty and staff;
- Assisting Center faculty and staff in organizing and facilitating meetings, workshops, and other convenings with ocean law and policy leaders, policymakers, and academics;
- Presenting at events to nongovernmental, governmental, academic, and/or stakeholder communities, as well as media, about research initiatives;
- Assisting with other aspects of workshop, research, and report production as appropriate; and
- Assisting with other miscellaneous tasks for the ocean program and the Center broadly.
- Candidate must hold a B.A., B.S., or equivalent international degree at time of application.
- Candidate must hold a J.D., equivalent international degree, or other advanced degree by the start date of the position.
- J.D. degree, equivalent international degree, or other advanced degree in fields closely related to environmental law and policy;
- Background in ocean law, policy, and/or science;
- Experience and knowledge at the intersection of law, science, business, and policy;
- Ability to work with people from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds and policy perspectives;
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a law- or policy-focused environment;
- Experience with research, writing, and analysis;
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Ability to prioritize and function both independently and collaboratively;
- Demonstrated ability to finish projects and deliver on commitments;
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines;
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas; and
- An interest in making the world better.
Please visit the following link to apply: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01964. Applications must include in pdf format a cover letter; a CV; and a writing sample (such as a policy brief, comment letter, white paper, or equivalent of no more than 10 pages). Applicants must also provide in AP Recruit the names and contact information for three (3) references.
This position will remain open until filled.
If you have questions about the position, please contact email@example.com.
The University offers excellent health and retirement benefits which can be viewed online at http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu.
Letters of reference, copies of scholarly transcripts, and other materials may be requested of top candidates. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a dossier service or career center, to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
Berkeley Law is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their research. Qualified women and members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Job Location: Berkeley, CA
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (10 Pages or Less) – Ex. A policy brief, comment letter, white paper or equivalent
- 3-5 required (contact information only)