The Asia IP & Technology Law Project of the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology offers a unique forum for Asian and American companies, law firms, academics, trade associations, and government officials to learn about developments in IP law on both sides of the Pacific, exchange views, and develop deeper knowledge on issues of common concern. Its workshops, conferences, and other events bring data-driven insight into the complex IP landscape in China and other Asian venues.
In a time of trade wars and economic disruption, BCLT’s Asia IP Project is a source of data-driven insight.
Follow Our Blog
China IPR, managed by Mark Cohen, is the pre-eminent English language site on developments in Chinese IP law, with articles by academics, students and practitioners. Visit Site>>
The Asia IP Project has an ambitious agenda of research and writing. Topics include:
- The new IP databases in China: Review the content and utility of the new IP-related and legal databases, to serve as an ongoing guide for practitioners and scholars.
- Foreign patent litigation: Using the newly released Chinese judicial databases, compare win/loss rates and explore trends and themes in Chinese IP litigation, including remedies such as injunctions and the role of licensing.
- Measuring patent quality.
- The interface between IP law and antitrust law in China.
- Patent linkage.
- Comparing approaches on protection of designs, including use of design patents.
- Compile a practice-oriented casebook in English on Chinese IP law.
We publish our research through multiple channels, including:
- www.ChinaIPR.com: This blog, managed by Mark Cohen, is the pre-eminent English language site on developments in Chinese IP law, with articles by academics, students and practitioners.
- When Sino-American Struggle Disrupts the Supply Chain: Licensing Intellectual Property in a Changing Trade Environment, WORLD TRADE REV. (forthcoming, 2021) (with Philip Rogers)
- A techno-globalist approach to intellectual property and supply chain disruption (Hinrich Foundation, 2020) (with Philip Rogers)
- How A Changing Geopolitical Climate Affects Licensing, INTELL. ASSET MGMT. (Nov. 29, 2019)
- Overlooked Strategies for Surviving the US-China Trade War, WORLD FINANCIAL REV. (October 10, 2019) (with Dan Prud’homme)
- A New Era of Licensing With China, COMPETITION POLICY INT’L (Sept. 23, 2019)
- Licensing Intellectual Property in a Changing Trade Environment, INTELL. ASSET MGMT. (Aug. 30, 2019)
- Testimony before the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission (June 8 , 2018)
Mark A. Cohen (柯恒) | Senior Fellow and Director, Asia IP Project
University of California Berkeley, School of Law
897 Simon Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-7200