Jonathan Gould is an Assistant Professor at Berkeley Law School. His research focuses on the relationship between politics and law, with special attention to Congress and the legislative process. In exploring these topics, he draws on a variety of methods and literatures, including from political theory, public law, and political science.
Gould’s scholarship has been published or is forthcoming in the Harvard Law Review, Yale Law Journal, Virginia Law Review, N.Y.U. Law Review, and Georgetown Law Journal, among other journals. His article Law Within Congress won the Association of American Law Schools’ 2020 Scholarly Papers Prize for best work by a faculty member in their first five years of law teaching.
Gould received his J.D. magna cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he served as President of the Harvard Law Review, and his Ph.D. from Harvard’s Department of Government. He has worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Judge David Barron on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, at the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division, and at the Public Citizen Litigation Group.
Gould will be a visiting professor at Harvard Law School in Fall 2022.
- Law Within Congress, 129 Yale L.J. 1946 (2020)
- Codifying Constitutional Norms, 105 Geo. L.J. 703 (2021)
- The Law of Legislative Representation, 107 Va. L. Rev. 765 (2021)
- Rethinking Swing Voters, 74 Vand. L. Rev. 85 (2021)
- Democratizing the Senate From Within, 13 J.L. Analysis (2021) (w/K. Shepsle & M. Stephenson)
- Structural Biases in Structural Constitutional Law, 97 N.Y.U. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2022) (w/D. Pozen)
- The Politics of Deference, 75 Vand. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2022) (w/G. Elinson)
- Puzzles of Progressive Constitutionalism, 135 Harv. L. Rev. 2054 (2022)
Ph.D., Harvard University (2020)
J.D., Harvard Law School (2016)
A.M., Harvard University (2014)
A.B., Harvard College (2010)
Jonathan Gould is teaching the following courses in Spring 2023:
210.2B sec. 001 - Workshop in Law, Philosophy & Political Theory
220G sec. 001 - Public Law and Policy Workshop
225 sec. 001 - Legislation and Statutory Interpretation
Courses During Other Semesters
|Semester||Course Num||Course Title||Teaching Evaluations||Fall 2023||225.11 sec. 001||Statutory Interpretation and Legislation Workshop|