The Contra Costa Reentry Project (CORE) will assist the Contra Costa Public Defender’s Officer with (1) processing Proposition 47 reclassification applications and (2) reentry work through the office’s Clean Slate program. (Prop 47, passed in November 2014, reclassifies certain felony offenses as misdemeanors.) Students will have the opportunity to:
- Research Prop 47 applicants’ eligibility for reclassification
- Contact applicants about their application status
- File Prop 47 petitions
- Read and organize mail from local prisons and jails from inmates interested in reclassification
- Attend and assist with Contra Costa Public Defender’s Office reentry programming, including Clean Slate workshops and Prop 47 outreach events
- Volunteer at a local reentry center
- Attend Homeless Court and other court appearances by CCPD attorneys
Time Commitment: Approximately 2-4 hours per week at the Contra Costa Public Defender’s Office in Martinez.
For more information, please contact the student leaders at ReentrySLPS@gmail.com.
We are grateful to our supporters:
Loren S. Lewallen
David B. Oppenheimer
Select Equity Group, Inc.