Starting a business always involves risk. But many risks can be avoided or managed when new entrepreneurs have access to legal help. The New Business Community Law Clinic assists low-income entrepreneurs by answering questions, providing forms, and giving guidance about common legal issues, including:
- Choosing and Forming a Legal Entity
- Raising Capital
- Hiring Workers
- Using Contracts
- Protecting Copyrights & Other IP
- Managing Risks
- Complying with Regulatory Requirements
English, Spanish and Mandarin language assistance available. All consultations are strictly confidential.
The clinic cannot advise about patents, complex tax/securities issues, acquisitions, real estate, bankruptcy, or litigation. Referrals to local attorneys are provided whenever needed.
The New Business Community Law Clinicnprovides free legal help through:
- OLLIE – Online Legal Library and Information for Entrepreneurs
- Legal Trainings: lay-friendly workshops in-person or over the web
- Limited Service Office Hours: confidential 40-minute phone/web consults
- Full Service Representation: confidential legal help for a range of legal needs, provided by student teams over the semester