Getting Reimbursed


Use these instructions to prepare reimbursement requests for Berkeley Law employees and hosted guests. All reimbursement requests are now processed by Campus Shared Services Business and Financial Services (CSS B&FS) via BearBuy. Instructions for completing the appropriate BearBuy forms are provided on our BearBuy home page.

If your reimbursement includes a wire transfer as the method of payment, go to our Outgoing Wire Transfers page for additional instructions.  If the reimbursement will be paid to a foreign individual, go to the Hosting Foreign Guests page of the Event Services website for additional instructions.

General reimbursements

Use the Payment Request form in BearBuy to submit your request to CSS B&FS. Your reimbursement requests in BearBuy are a permanent, electronic record – REDACT personal financial information on any document you scan and attach to a shopping cart.  You can help us guard against the risk of identity theft by taking a few simple precautions. Our Receipts and Proofs of Payment page provides a description of the details you should redact on receipts and proofs of payment. 

Entertainment expenses

You may continue to use our version of the Entertainment Certification Form to request reimbursement for food/beverage purchases.  Use the CSS Non-Purchase Request form in BearBuy to submit your request to CSS B&FS. 
Entertainment Certification Form (Word)
Form Instructions (PDF)
Track Your Reimbursement (PDF)

Travel Expenses

You may continue to use our version of the Travel Expense Form to request reimbursement for business-related travel expenses. Use the CSS Non-Purchase Request form in BearBuy to submit your request to CSS B&FS. 
Travel Expense Report (Excel)
Form Instructions (PDF)
Track Your Reimbursement (PDF)

Local parking, tolls and mileage

You can be reimbursed for expenses related to participation in activities that take place locally, such as attending business meetings and fundraising events or conferring with research associates and prospective donors. 

International travel – using per diems

Receipts are not required when you use the U.S. Department of State per diem allowances for foreign locations to report meals/incidentals (tips and gratuities) and lodging expenses. Clinics, centers and departments may establish per diem values for their travelers that are lower than those provided on this list. Per diems are not available for domestic travel in the United Sates – you must report actual expenses and provide receipts as explained on the Travel Report Form instructions (see above).

Reimbursements from other organizations and institutions

If you used personal funds for your expenditures and you will seek reimbursement from another organization, send your request directly to that payer. University policy prohibits the use of campus funds to reimburse expenses that do not belong to the University.

If you used Berkeley Law funds to pay for all or part of your expenditures and wish to seek reimbursement from another organization for part or all of your expenses, make sure to note this on your reimbursement request.  Begin by submitting a personal reimbursement request to Campus Shared Services for any out-of-pocket expenses; once that is complete and the total amount you will seek from another organization is known, contact Business services ( and we will prepare and send an invoice to the other organization for the necessary refund to the University.

Sign up for electronic deposit of your payments

If you haven’t already done so, take a moment to establish EFT instructions (electronic funds transfer) with the campus Disbursements Office.  Existing EFT instructions for your pay checks will automatically be applied to your reimbursement payments.    

Safeguard your social security number

Use only your employee or student ID number on documents sent to Business Services.  Social security numbers are never required for individual reimbursements to UC Berkeley faculty, staff and students.