Faculty Portfolio Dashboard – CalAnswers Tool
The old Faculty Portfolio has been discontinued; please use the new Pi Portfolio. If you have questions, please contact Business Services.
Berkeley Law Business Services and UC’s CalAnswers team have partnered to create an updated, improved and easy-to-use tool to replace the now-defunct “Faculty Portfolio” page formerly hosted locally here at Berkeley Law: the CalAnswers Faculty Portfolio Dashboard. This Dashboard is a one-stop source for professors and their support staff to find a tremendous amount of information about Faculty finances, updated on a daily basis, in an easy-to-read format that can be customized to your specific preferences.
What information does this tool include?
- Current balances in all your chartstrings
- Yearly allocations and carry-over balances from previous years
- Specific details about transactions applied to your chartstrings
- Reports on how GSR costs, per person, broken down in an easy-to-understand format
- Monthly spending breakdowns
- A single, easy-to-read and comprehensive list of all your chartstrings
- Data from past fiscal years, going back over five years
- Finally – positive balances are recorded as positive totals!
What information does this tool NOT include? What are the limitations of the tool?
- While we have been assured that the tool accurately reports Contract and Grant funds, we cannot at this time guarantee that all balances for those funds are accurate. Please contact your C&G fund administrator directly for information regarding C&G funds.
- This tool does NOT report on transactions in transit. If you’ve submitted a reimbursement or payment request that hasn’t yet paid out, you won’t see that reflected in the tool.
- Unlike reimbursements and payments to outside vendors, Payroll expenses are applied once a month; if you are employing a GSR, expenses for the previous month will typically be reflected by the second week of the current month.
- Fund terms and restrictions
- Information about WHY a charge or credit has been applied to your chartstring
- Information about future funding or projections of future balances based on committed funds for GSRs, etc.
How do I access the tool?
Berkeley Law Faculty should be able to access the tool automatically – simply click on the link at the top of this page and you will be taken directly to the Dashboard, after logging in with your CalNet ID. The tool is at this time functional in all web browsers; however, updates made to browsers can occasionally cause them to stop working with CalAnswers. If this seems to be the case, please send us an email at email@example.com and we will investigate the issue.
Berkeley Law support staff who would like access to the tool can request that access by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help! I don’t know what I’m looking at here!
Quick User Guide (PDF)
If you have questions about line items on your report or difficulties logging on to the tool, please send an email to email@example.com and we will strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We will also be happy to come directly to your desk to perform a training on how to log in and use the tool or how to customize the tool to your specific needs.