LL.M./J.S.D. Costs & Financial Aid


The Advanced Degree Programs Office offers a few selective, merit- or citizenship-based scholarships, which are awarded to a few outstanding LL.M. students each year.  Scholarship applications for both tracks are made available to admitted students only. There is no process to apply for these scholarships before you have been admitted to the LL.M. program.


There is currently no financial aid available through the Advanced Degree Programs Office for students in the J.S.D. program. Students who are eligible for federal student loans may also be able to borrow from the federal loan program (see below).
Because the amount of funding available is very limited, the responsibility of financing the LL.M. or J.S.D. program usually rests primarily with the student.  Therefore, we strongly suggest that applicants investigate all available financing options.  We have gathered all of the information we have on funding sources on this page, although it is certainly not exhaustive and applicants are encouraged to conduct their own research.  International students should explore funding opportunities in their home countries.Please note:  Services from Berkeley Law’s Financial Aid Office are generally limited to students who are eligible for federal loans — see below for guidelines on who is eligible for federal student loans. 
Other funding resources:
  • Foreignborn.com – Information on finding funding through your own country or organizations in the U.S.


Students Eligible for Student Loans


U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens eligible for federal student loans must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to obtain a Federal Direct Stafford or Graduate PLUS Loan. You are an eligible non-citizen if you are:

  • A permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551);
  • A conditional permanent U.S. resident (I-551C); or
  • The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), “Victim of human trafficking,” T-Visa holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.) or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant.”

LL.M. Professional Track students may be eligible to apply for Federal Direct Loans to assist them with paying for their summer program costs.  To determine eligibility for the federal loan program, students must file the FAFSA for the academic year that precedes the summer by June 30 for each summer term.  LL.M. Professional Track students may be able to borrow a combined maximum of a $20,500 Stafford Unsubsidized Loan (depending on whether they already borrowed from this program during the preceding academic year) and a Graduate PLUS Loan up to the balance of the cost of education for the summer.

Private educational loans (also known as alternative loans) are loans made by a private bank or lending agency for educational purposes. International students may qualify if the loan is co-signed by a creditworthy US citizen or permanent resident. Most likely, a US co-signer and SSN will be required.

To apply for either Federal Student Loans for Private Educational loans, refer to the Financial Aid Checklist for LL.M and J.S.D. Students.


Other Possible Funding Resources for International Students

Following is a partial list of funding opportunities. This list is for informational purposes and does not imply any connection with, or endorsement by, Berkeley Law.



All Applicants

If you have any questions, please contact the Advanced Degree Programs Office by email at llm@law.berkeley.edu, or by phone at 510-642-1476.