Scholarships & Financial Aid

The Advanced Degree Programs Office offers a few selective, merit- or citizenship-based scholarships, which are awarded to a few outstanding LL.M. students each year.  Scholarship applications for both tracks are made available to admitted students only. There is no process to apply for these scholarships before you have been admitted to the LL.M. program.


There is currently no financial aid available through the Advanced Degree Programs Office for students in the J.S.D. program. Students who are eligible for federal student loans may also be able to borrow from the federal loan program (see below).
Because the amount of funding available is very limited, the responsibility of financing the LL.M. or J.S.D. program usually rests primarily with the student.  Therefore, we strongly suggest that applicants investigate all available financing options.  We have gathered all of the information we have on funding sources on this page, although it is certainly not exhaustive and applicants are encouraged to conduct their own research.  International students should explore funding opportunities in their home countries.Please note:  Services from Berkeley Law’s Financial Aid Office are generally limited to students who are eligible for federal loans — see below for guidelines on who is eligible for federal student loans.  Students who do not meet these guidelines can use the resources listed under Aid for International Students below.


Students Eligible for Federal Student Loans

U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens are eligible for federal student loans and must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to obtain a Federal Direct Stafford or Graduate PLUS Loan. You are an eligible non-citizen if you are:

  • A permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551);
  • A conditional permanent U.S. resident (I-551C); or
  • The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), “Victim of human trafficking,” T-Visa holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.) or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant.”

The FAFSA may be completed online.  Be certain to list “UC Berkeley” as the school applied to, and include the school code #001312.

LL.M. Traditional Track and J.S.D. applicants should submit the FAFSA by March 2 prior to the academic year during which they wish to obtain federal student loans.

LL.M. Professional Track students may be eligible to apply for Federal Direct Loans to assist them with paying for their summer program costs.  To determine eligibility for the federal loan program, students must file the FAFSA for the academic year that precedes the summer by June 30 for each summer term.  LL.M. Professional Track students may be able to borrow a combined maximum of a $20,500 Stafford Unsubsidized Loan (depending on whether they already borrowed from this program during the preceding academic year) and a Graduate PLUS Loan up to the balance of the cost of education for the summer.  For a detailed description of the Federal Direct Loan Program, please refer to the Berkeley Law Financial Aid website.

Students eligible for federal student loans may also contact the Berkeley Law Financial Aid Office at or 510-642-1563.  Information about the Financial Aid Office can be found online.

U.S. citizens may also be eligible for the scholarships listed here.

Aid for International Students

In addition to the financial aid described above, international students are encouraged to see the Berkeley International Office Financial Aid page, and to take advantage of the resources it provides, and the following searchable library and web resources:

  • eduPass – a useful guide for international students, including information on scholarships, loans, and finding funding through organizations
  • – a site providing links to sources of financial aid and information on finding funding through your own country or organizations in the U.S.
  • Institute of International Education (IIE) Funding for U.S. Study – a search engine for finding funding opportunities for international students studying in the U.S.
  • International Student Organization (ISO) – a detailed list of organizations that provide scholarships and grants to students of various backgrounds and areas of interest


Other Possible Funding Resources for International Students

Following is a partial list of funding opportunities. This list is for informational purposes and does not imply any connection with, or endorsement by, Berkeley Law.




All Applicants

If you have any questions, please contact the Advanced Degree Programs Office by email at, or by phone at 510-642-1476.