LL.M. Professional Track Student Handbook 2018

Welcome to Berkeley Law! This handbook will help you navigate Berkeley Law’s academic policies and resources, professional opportunities, and social offerings. It also provides tips and information about student life in and around Berkeley. You are responsible for knowing the school policies that apply to you during your studies here, so read it carefully! Please note that the information in this handbook may change. Throughout this document we will link to websites that will contain the most up-to-date material. Information on our websites will supersede this handbook.


Administrative Information

Summer 2018

Orientation for Quarter 1-start Students

May 14, Monday

Quarter 1 Instruction Begins

May 15, Tuesday

Memorial Day, no classes meet

May 28, Monday

Quarter 1 Final Examinations

June 4, Monday

Orientation for Quarter 2-start Students

June 5, Tuesday

Quarter 2 Instruction Begins

June 6, Wednesday

Quarter 2 Final Examinations

June 25, Monday

Quarter 3 Instruction Begins

June 27, Wednesday

Independence Day extended holiday, no classes meet

July 4-6, Wednesday-Friday

Quarter 3 Final Examinations

July 20, Friday


July 23, Monday

Quarter 4 Instruction Begins

July 25, Wednesday

Quarter 4 Final Examinations

August 13, Monday

The ADP office staff will handle the majority of your questions or concerns during your time at Berkeley.


Susan Whitman, J.D., Assistant Dean of Academic Planning and Coordination (swhitman@law.berkeley.edu / 510-643-9566)
Assistant Dean Whitman collaborates with the Associate Dean of J.D. Curriculum and Teaching and the Associate Dean of Experiential Education on instructional staffing and curricular planning, teaching pedagogy, and lecturer hiring and review. She also administers the law school’s Advanced Degree Programs Office (LL.M., J.S.D.), its Professional Legal Education (PLE) offerings, and the Visiting Scholar’s program. Prior to arriving at Berkeley Law in 2008, Whitman was the Associate Judge of Travis County (Austin) Probate Court Number One (2000-2008), and the Director and Supervising Attorney of the Elderlaw Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law (1985-2000).


Evelyn Borchert, Associate Director, LL.M. & J.S.D. Programs (adpoffice@law.berkeley.edu / 510-642-1476)
Evelyn has over 10 years of experience advising Berkeley Law LL.M. and J.S.D. students on degree, certificate and bar exam requirements, as well as coursework selection and student life issues. She is available for academic advising, inquiries about the J.S.D. program, and is your first resource for any non-career related advising. 


Rachel Zuraw, J.D., Director of Professional Development (rzuraw@law.berkeley.edu / 510-642-3218)
Rachel advises LL.M. students on academic matters and provides professional development counseling and support. She also collaborates with other members of the ADP staff to organize workshops focused on professional skills and practice areas of interest. Prior to joining Berkeley Law, Rachel worked as an associate attorney at O’Melveny & Myers LLP and Hanson Bridgett LLP in San Francisco. She also taught at the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law.


Liza Jimenez, Associate Director of Student Services (lizaj@law.berkeley.edu / 510-664-7009)
Liza administers the Executive Education Courses at Berkeley Law. If you have questions about Executive Education she will be happy to speak with you. Liza also works closely with the LL.M. student group, SOALS,  to help you make the most of your experience while on campus


Erin Weldon, Director of Admissions (adpoffice@law.berkeley.edu / 510-642-1476)
Erin oversees all aspects of the admissions process.


Natalie Golden, Associate Director, Admissions and Student Services (adpoffice@law.berkeley.edu / 510-642-1476)
Natalie is involved in all aspects of the admissions process.  She is able to answer any questions about the LL.M. and J.S.D. program applications.


Anya Grossmann, J.D., Director of Global Outreach (agrossmann@law.berkeley.edu / 510-642-1476)
Prior to joining Berkeley Law, Anya worked as an associate attorney at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP in New York. She directs global outreach efforts and coordinates the PALS program connecting current LL.M. students and alumni with prospective students, so please talk to her if you’d like to become an ambassador for Berkeley Law and help recruit the next generation of bears!


Kara Ganter, Director of Communications and Program Development (klganter@law.berkeley.edu / 510-642-1476)
Kara oversees all aspects of internal and external communications and marketing, supports outreach and recruitment processes, and develops new programs.


Jodi L. Collova, M.L.I.S., J.D., Director of LL.M. Legal Research and Writing (jcollova@law.berkeley.edu)
Professor Collova develops the curriculum and hires/supervises lecturers of LL.M. Legal Research and Writing (LRW). She teaches LL.M. LRW, Fundamentals of U.S. Law, and Advanced Legal Writing for LL.M. students. Prior to joining Berkeley Law, she taught at the University of San Francisco School of Law, Loyola Law School of Los Angeles, Golden Gate University School of Law, and the East China University of Political Science and Law in Shanghai (as a guest professor). Prior to transitioning to academia, she practiced employment law for two years in San Francisco.


Dr. Linda Zaruba, Psychologist (zaruba@berkeley.edu)
Dr. Zaruba is Berkeley Law’s dedicated counselor. She is available to meet with you confidentially to discuss any emotional stress you may be encountering. The stresses of moving to a completely new place can be eased by just sitting down and talking to someone who cares; emergency situations are not the only reason to seek counseling.  

Making Appointments with ADP Staff
ADP staff are available by appointment; the ADP Office is open for walk-in questions from 10am to 3pm Monday-Thursday and 10am – 2pm Friday. However, in order to ensure we can meet every student’s needs in a timely fashion, please review the Frequently Asked Questions in this handbook before making an appointment. You may find the answer to your question there.

Appointment system:
Appointments can be made through bCourses under the “Make an Appointment” tab.

If you have any technical problems please contact Sandra at 510-642-1476 or adpoffice@law.berkeley.edu.


Berkeley International Office (BIO): Visa Advising
Berkeley International Office provides knowledge and expertise in advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming to the UC Berkeley campus community. The BIO office is your primary point of contact for questions regarding your visa status; ADP staff is not permitted to provide visa or immigration advice.

Services provided by BIO
•    Advising support for nonimmigrant students
•    Visa document production for nonimmigrant students
•    A wide variety of programs and workshops
•    Drop-in Student Advising hours:  10am-12noon and 1:30-4pm (Monday – Friday)

Berkeley International Office
2299 Piedmont Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94720-2321

286 Simon Hall
berkeleylawshop.com and/or bkstr.com

Berkeley Law’s Bookstore is located in 286 Simon Hall and is open M-TH: 10am – 4.30pm and F: 9am – 3pm. In addition to selling and renting casebooks and textbooks, the bookstore stocks school supplies, commercial outlines, study aids, apparel and gifts, as well as a small assortment of candy, snacks, and beverages.

The bookstore offers new and used (when available) copies of all required and recommended books. On average, a little over half of the required titles are available to rent. The rental price ranges from about 35-55% less than the new textbook price. When renting for the first time you’ll need to provide a telephone and email address to set up your rental account. In addition, we’ll need to see a government issued photo ID and a branded credit or debit card to be used as collateral.

If, at any point during the semester, you decide that you want to keep any of your rented books, just pay the difference between the rental and purchase price (new/used) and the book is yours.

Questions? Stop by the store and ask or visit: berkeleylawshop.com and/or bkstr.com

bCourses is the online collaboration and learning environment at UC Berkeley. This site will include announcements from the ADP staff and will also include a link to make appointments with professional and academic advisers from the ADP office. We have your berkeley.edu emails associated with our “ADP Office – Summer 2018” bCourses account. To login please visit: https://bcourses.berkeley.edu/ with your CalNet ID and passphrase. Please regularly check the ADP bCourses account for important information such as academic resources, events, and links to campus services.

CalCentral is a website that allows you to manage class enrollment, billing, financial aid, and student records, including updating your contact information. It is important to always keep your current address updated in CalCentral. To log in, go to https://calcentral.berkeley.edu/

Your Cal 1 Card is your official campus ID. As a student, you’ll use your Cal 1 Card several times a day while you’re on campus. You’ll use this card to sign in at libraries, ride free on local buses, and as a key card to access the Law Library and study lounge.

You may go to the Cal 1 Card office, present your passport and your student ID number, and get your ID issued.  You will also receive a bus pass that allows you to ride on any city bus (AC Transit) free of charge.

Cal 1 Card Office
180 Cesar Chavez Center, Lower Sproul Plaza
Monday-Friday, 9am-4:30pm
Phone: 510-643-6839

Email: cal1card@berkeley.edu

Cal Student Central is your one-stop student services center for information on billing and payments.

120 Sproul Hall Monday-Friday, 9am-noon and 1-4pm
Phone: 510-664-9181
Online: http:/studentcentral.berkeley.edu

Fees are billed after course enrollment and are due by May 18th

Accessing Your Fee Details
You can view your fee details in CalCentral.  To access your fee details:

  1. Go to calcentral.berkeley.edu
  2. Log in with your CalNet ID and passphrase
  3. Click on the My Finances tab
  4. Click on Details by Billing Summary Summer 2018


Monthly Statement
The Monthly Statement is not a bill, but will display activity that occurred during the previous month.  You will receive an email when the Monthly Statement is generated.


Payment Options

e-Check: If you have a US bank account, you may choose to pay via e-Check. Log into CalCentral, select My Finances and review the “Billing Summary Summer 2018” box. Click the “Make Payment” button to complete your payment transaction.

Credit Card: 1 2.75% convenience fee applies to credit card payments. Log into CalCentral, select My Finances and review the “Billing Summary Summer 1027” box. Click the “Make Payment” button to complete your payment transaction.

Foreign Funds: Students can pay their charges via International Funds Transfer (IFT). Log into CalCentral, select My Finances and review the “Billing Summary Summer 2018” box.  Click the “Make Payment” button to initiate your wire payment transaction.  Quotes rates are valid for 72 hours.

Check: Payments by check or money orders must be issued in U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, and made payable to “UC Regents”. Be sure to include your Student ID number on the memo line of the check. Checks can be left at the drop box at the entrance of University Hall on the 2199 Addison Street side, or mailed to:

University of California, Berkeley
Payment Services
140 University Hall, MC #1111
Berkeley, CA 94720-1111


Cash payments are not accepted.


To see detailed payment options, go to: http://studentbilling.berkeley.edu/PaymentOptions.htm
If payments are not credited to the account by the due date, the following may occur:
•    The account may be charged a late fee
•    A block may be placed on your registration for future terms
•    You may be dropped from the rolls, i.e. grades will not post to your transcript until all registration fees for the term are paid in full


Third Party Payments
If a sponsoring agency is paying your tuition and requires an invoice in their name before sending payment, you may request a Third Party Contract. You will need to provide documentation of the third party’s support in order for them to be directly billed. Refer to the Third Party Contract site for more information: http://studentbilling.berkeley.edu/thirdpartycontract.htm


If the e-bill does not need to be in the third party’s name, you can delegate access to an individual who can act on your behalf by paying bills, viewing academic information, etc. Students choose which privileges to delegate, and can change those privileges at any time. You can create or manage delegates at https://calcentral.berkeley.edu/profile/delegate.

Please plan for other non-tuition, non-housing related expenses including:

  • Regalia (the cap and gown you wear for the traditional graduation ceremony) must be rented for an estimated fee of $75.00
  • Textbooks
  • Bar Exam Fees: Taking the bar exam is a large investment in time and money. The California Bar examination has associated application and registration fees (>$1500).  Bar Preparation courses (Barbri, Themis, Kaplan, LLM Bar Exam, etc.) also have separate fees ($1500-$5000). 
  • Entertainment: There will be many social student activities to participate in and most require a fee for food and beverages.
  • RSF: Recreational Sports Facility. Student membership is now included in tuition and fees. http://recsports.berkeley.edu/
  • Campus Parking: Student parking is available for an estimated fee of $308 per summer semester. http://pt.berkeley.edu/

LL.M. Academic Policies: Professional Track (2018)

I. Degree Requirements

Students must complete a minimum total of 21 units for the LL.M. degree. Students who have earned a J.D. in Common Law from the U.S. or Canada must complete a minimum total of 20 units.

First-year (1S) students must complete three units of Fundamentals of US Law, and two units of Legal Research and Writing. Students who have earned a J.D. in Common Law from the U.S. or Canada may waive these courses. Students who have earned a law degree from a country with a common law legal system (other than the U.S. or Canada) may take an exam to waive Legal Research and Writing; interested students should contact Jodi L. Collova, Director of LL.M. Legal Research and Writing (jcollova@law.berkeley.edu).

Students must complete a Capstone Writing Project consisting of a research paper of at least 15 pages in length. Successful completion of Legal Research and Writing will fulfill this requirement. Students who have waived LRW must complete the Capstone Writing Project by taking Advanced Writing & Legal Scholarship during their 2S year.

II. Program Requirements

Students are expected to enroll in courses and complete LL.M. degree requirements during two consecutive summers. Students are not permitted to take courses offered at the law school during the academic year. Each summer student must be in residence and enrolled in at least 1 course during at least three consecutive Quarters (Quarters 1-3 or Quarters 2-4). Students may enroll in all four Quarters if desired. All program requirements and coursework must be completed within 3 years of starting the program.

Students must take a minimum of 10 units and a maximum of 16 units per summer. Students may submit an Academic Rules Petition to take an overload of 17 units, or an underload of less than 10 units per summer.  The petition must be approved before a student can take an overload or underload. Additionally, students may only enroll in afternoon elective courses once they have completed Legal Research & Writing.

Students are expected to prepare fully for class and to participate actively in class discussion. Regular attendance and preparation of assignments are required. An instructor may exclude a student from a class for which the student is unprepared, and may exclude a student from the final examination on the basis of repeated unexcused absences or unpreparedness. If a student cannot attend a class due to an unforeseen emergency, the student must inform the professor.  In determining the student’s grade in the course, the instructor may consider the quality of a student’s preparation and his or her participation in class discussion.

Students may not under any circumstances enroll in courses with overlapping times.

The deadline to add or drop an elective course is the end of the first day of the quarter in which the class is offered.

Auditing is permitted only if there are seats available in the class and the student gains permission of the instructor. Audited courses do not appear on transcripts.

III. Exams

Written examinations are held at the end of each course, except where another procedure for evaluation has been announced. In-class examinations are monitored by proctors. “Take-home” examinations are not monitored. Every student must be present for an examination at the regularly scheduled time and place in each course for which he or she is registered, unless previously excused by the Dean of Students’ Office. A student who is unable to attend an examination must notify the Director of Student Services, Kyle Valenti  in 280 Simon Hall (510-664-4973; kvalenti@law.berkeley.edu) as soon as possible and present all reasons why attendance is impossible. In cases of medical disability the student must furnish medical documentation, and in all other cases the student must furnish whatever appropriate corroborating documentation is available. The Dean of Students Office will make the final determination as to whether a student can reschedule an exam.

Students with a documented disability may request in advance special accommodations for taking examinations. At the start of the semester a student requiring accommodations must register with the Disabled Students’ Program (DSP): http://www.dsp.berkeley.edu/. After a student receives approval from DSP they should inform the Director of Student Services, Kyle Valenti in 280 Simon Hall (510-664-4973; kvalenti@law.berkeley.edu).

A student who has been excused from taking an examination at the regularly scheduled time must make up the examination by taking it at a later scheduled time.  Exams may not be taken early.

Examinations are conducted under the Academic Honor Code, which is strictly enforced at Berkeley Law. See attached Appendix.

IV. Grades & Grading Curve

Students will receive one of the following grades for completed work:

  1. An honors grade, which may be High Honors (HH) or Honors (H).
  2. A Pass grade (P).
  3. A Substandard Pass grade (PC), showing that while credit has been obtained, the work is of low quality.
  4. A failing grade (NC) showing that no credit is earned for the course.
  5. Courses graded Credit/No Pass will receive either a Credit (CR) or a No Pass (NP).


Students who violate the Academic Honor Code will receive a failing grade in the course.

A mandatory curve applies to all classes and seminars with 11 or more students such that 20% of the students receive HHs, 30% receive Hs, and 50% receive Ps. The same curve is recommended for classes and seminars with 10 or fewer students.

V. Professional LL.M. Academic Disqualification Policy

In General
If at the end of any one summer semester, a Professional LL.M. student fails two or more classes, or if at the end of both summer semesters, a Professional LL.M. student has received cumulative Substandard Pass designations and No Credit grades either for 30% of his or her total grades or for 30% of his or her total units, then the student shall be disqualified.


A Professional LL.M. student who fails one class or receives Substandard Pass designations for 30% of his or her total grades or units after the first summer semester of law school shall be subject to conditions of probation as the Law School’s Dean of Students may impose for the second summer semester. The imposition of conditions of probation may not be appealed.

A student may appeal his or her disqualification to the Disqualification Appeals Committee, seeking readmission. The Committee will make a recommendation to the Dean of the Law School regarding each disqualification appeal and the decision of the Dean of the Law School will be final on all appeals. Students disqualified after their first summer semester may appeal to re-enroll the following summer.

The Dean of Students will appoint a Disqualification Appeals Committee consisting of three faculty members to serve as a standing committee for processing appeals. To the extent feasible, at least one faculty member of the Committee should have served on the Committee in the preceding year. Notice of disqualification will include notice of the right of appeal provided herein and of the Committee’s composition.

The student whose appeal is being heard may challenge any faculty member of the Committee for cause, any such challenge to be determined by the Dean of Students, and the student will also have one peremptory challenge. The student must file any challenge in writing with the Dean of Students no later than three weeks after he or she has filed his or her appeal. In the event of a successful challenge for cause or a peremptory challenge, the Dean of Students shall appoint a faculty member or members as necessary to constitute the Committee for the purpose of hearing that appeal. In addition, if a member of the Committee has given a student who appeals a substandard designation or a grade of No Credit, he or she need not participate in the hearing and decision on the appeal, and the student may object to his or her participation in the manner provided above. In either event the Dean of Students will appoint a new member of the Committee for the purpose of hearing that appeal

The Committee may review evidence that includes the student’s own presentation, the student’s file, and any other relevant submissions, including witnesses when necessary. If the student convincingly demonstrates that his or her record resulted from circumstances beyond his or her control and that he or she can and probably will do proficient law school work in the future, the Committee may, in its discretion, recommend to the Law School’s Dean of Students that the student be readmitted and allowed to continue in law school subject to such conditions of probation as the Dean of Students may impose.

(Note: The convincing demonstration to the Disqualification Appeals Committee referenced above will normally have to include a showing by the student that he or she had made a conscientious, diligent effort to take full advantage of his or her educational opportunities. Among the factors that may be considered adverse to this showing are: absence from class; unpreparedness in class; failure to consult with professors as to the student’s examinations or required writing assignments; honor code violations; and involvement in time-consuming extra-curricular activities).

A student has the right to be represented during the disqualification appeal process.

Following the hearing the Committee will submit to the Dean of the Law School a written explanation of its recommendation.

Following a decision on appeal from disqualification, the student will be notified in writing of the Dean of the Law School’s decision.

VI. Voluntary Withdrawal and Readmission Policy

Between Semesters
A Professional LL.M. student enrolled in the Law School may voluntarily withdraw from the School between semesters, by filing with the Dean of Students a Notice of Withdrawal, which should be accompanied by a statement of reasons or circumstances causing the withdrawal.|

During the Summer Term
During the first and second summer semester, a student will be allowed to withdraw before completing three quarters only in exceptional circumstances and with the prior approval of the Dean of Students.

A student may elect to withdraw for any reason. Such leaves may not be taken more than once at the election of the student. A student may apply to the Dean of Students to withdraw for a second time, but such withdrawal will only be granted based upon a demonstration of exceptional circumstances by the student. Students who leave the Law School after a second voluntary leave must re-apply to the Law School as new applicants to the Law School. The granting of a second leave or re-admission to the Law School may be conditioned upon a student’s demonstration that issues which caused the student academic difficulty, or documented instances of inappropriate behavior prior to leaving the Law School, have been effectively addressed by the student.

Former Professional LL.M. students who have withdrawn and who wish to re-enter the Law School should apply for readmission to the Dean of Students, stating the date of withdrawal and providing a brief statement of activities in the interim, a record of all further studies undertaken, and such other information as may be requested for proper consideration of the application.



  1. A student who withdraws while in good academic standing after completing the first summer will normally be readmitted if his or her application for readmission is made within a reasonable time after withdrawal.
  2. A student who withdraws during the first summer is only eligible to return the following summer semester.

Under no circumstances may a Professional LL.M. student who has withdrawn be readmitted to the Law School after three years from the start of the semester in which he or she began.

VII. Exceptions/Academic Rules Petition

The Associate Dean for Graduate Programs may grant a special exception from these Academic Rules where the exception is justified by special circumstances, is necessary to avoid serious detriment to the student, and is consistent with sound educational policy. Students should apply for an exception by filing an Academic Rules Petition. Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.


Professional track students who seek in-depth training are able to earn Certificates of Specialization in Business Law, Law and Technology, Public Law & Regulation, or Energy & Environmental Law. The specialization appears on a separate certificate, as well as on your transcript, but not on your degree. Your degree is a general Master’s in Law (LL.M.).

Questions regarding certificates should first be directed to the administrators of those certificates. The ADP office cannot make exceptions to the certificate requirements. To view information on all certificates, visit https://www.law.berkeley.edu/academics/llm/professional-llm/certificates-of-specialization/https://www.law.berkeley.edu/academics/llm/professional-llm/certificates-of-specialization/ 

Professional Development


Berkeley Law’s Professional track LL.M. students will have the opportunity to participate in ongoing professional development programming.  Workshops will touch on a wide variety of practice areas, as well as professional development skills.  In addition, our students can arrange for one-on-one advising sessions with a dedicated LL.M. professional development counselor. In these sessions, the counselor will be available to advise you on U.S.-style networking to build your connections in the U.S. for business development purposes; the counselor can also advise you on how to refine your U.S.-style resume for similar purposes.  

Throughout the summer, we will present LL.M. professional development workshops on topics including:
•    Business and Networking Etiquette in the USA;
•    How to Become Eligible for the California Bar Exam; and
•    Practice-specific panels

Whether you are a mid-career professional with a well-developed practice or an entry-level attorney exploring different practice options, we are confident that you will benefit from the professional development workshops and advising available to you this summer!

Professional track LL.M. students with a first degree in law may qualify to sit for the California Bar examination. Our students often find that a U.S. Bar credential improves their professional development prospects in their home countries while also preserving the opportunity to practice law in the United States at some point in their career in the future.

The California Bar examination is offered twice yearly, in February and July. The exam includes a common-law, multiple-choice component (the Multi-State Bar Examination, or MBE) and a state-specific essay and performance test component.

The California Bar is a two-day exam and includes the MBE, state-specific essays, and an additional state-specific practical performance test.  Beyond passing the Bar examination, admission to the California Bar requires a moral character background check, plus satisfactory performance on the independent Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE), described below.

The ADP office will offer a workshop to guide you through the California pre-qualification process for foreign candidates. We can also advise you on course selection, as necessary, to meet the state’s requirements and prepare you for these examinations.

In deciding when to take the California Bar Exam, we strongly discourage students from taking the exam in July while enrolled in the Professional LL.M. Program. The California Bar Exam requires a tremendous amount of time to study and adequately prepare (most U.S. law graduates study full time for at least two months, devoting eight to ten hours a day to study leading up to the exam). Students enrolled in the Professional LL.M. program will not have adequate time to prepare for the California Bar Exam while attending their classes at Berkeley Law. Attempting to take the California Bar Exam while enrolled in the Professional LL.M. program will not allow a student to have the best chance to be successful in either endeavor.  Finally, if your Professor has an attendance policy prohibiting absences, neither preparation for the California Bar Exam nor the California Bar Exam itself will be considered an excused absence.


The pre-qualification process for the California Bar exam differs for “Attorney Applicants” and “General Applicants”.  Attorneys licensed in jurisdictions outside the United States (“Attorney Applicants”) need only submit a certificate of good standing in that jurisdiction to the Section Chief of Eligibility at the California Bar’s Office of Admissions in order to qualify to sit for the exam. An original copy of this certificate must be obtained from the applicant’s licensing body. See http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/FLC/2015_ForeignAttyBul.0215_R.pdf

LL.M. candidates who are not admitted to practice in any jurisdiction may qualify as “General Applicants” to sit for the Bar exam, provided that they:

  1. Have a first degree in law, acceptable to the Committee, from a law school in the foreign state or country and have completed a year of legal education at an ABA-approved law school or a California accredited law school in subjects tested on the California Bar. See http://rules.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=-2KV5j0w6Cw%3d&tabid=1227.
  2. Such General Applicant must obtain from a credential evaluation service approved by the Committee a certificate that the applicant’s first degree in law is substantially equivalent to a juris doctor degree awarded by a law school approved by the ABA or accredited by the Committee; or
  3. Obtain from a credential evaluation service approved by the Committee a certificate that the applicant’s first degree in law meets the educational requirements for admission to practice law in the foreign state or country in which it was obtained.
  4. In addition to submitting to the Office of Admissions the certificate required above, the General Applicant must submit a certificate from the ABA-approved law school (or school accredited by the Committee) certifying that the applicant has:
    1. Been awarded a Master of Law degree (LL.M.) based on a minimum of 20 semester or equivalent units of legal education that included a minimum of one course in four separate subjects tested on the California Bar of not less than a total of 12 semester or equivalent units (one of which must be Legal Ethics  that covers the California Rules of Professional Conduct, relevant sections of the California Business and Professions Code, the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, and leading federal and state case law on the subject); or
    2. Successfully completed 20 semester or equivalent units of legal education that included a minimum of one course in four separate subjects tested on the California Bar of not less than a total of 12 semester or equivalent units (one of which must be Legal Ethics that covers the California Rules of Professional Conduct, relevant sections of the California Business and Professions Code, the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, and leading federal and state case law on the subject).

For concrete guidance regarding the course offerings at Berkeley Law that will satisfy California’s requirements, consult the “California Bar Examination Requirements for Professional Track LL.M. Students – -Summer 2018” worksheet which is available on https://bcourses.berkeley.edu/

Admission to the California Bar entails a successful “background check” of your personal and professional history.

The California process is called a “Moral Character Determination” and applicants may complete the  application prior to or after taking the Bar exam: see http://www.calbarxap.com/Applications/CalBar/California_Bar_Moral_Character/default.asp. The state encourages applicants to file the form as soon as possible after registering with the State Bar of California, as it can take up to 6 months to process the data. No personal interview is required.


Admission to the California Bar requires satisfactory performance on the MPRE.  The MPRE is a two-hour exam with 60 multiple-choice questions and it may be taken prior to or after taking the Bar exam.

The MPRE is given three times annually in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Professional LL.M. students can take the MPRE this summer on August 121th (Regular registration deadline is June 21st ($95); Late Registration Deadline is June 29th ($190). For further information, see http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpre/registration/

*    *    *    *    *
The foregoing provides a basic overview of the pre-qualification requirements for Berkeley Law’s Professional Track LL.M. candidates to sit for and be admitted to the California Bar. We will provide further guidance through a specific California Bar workshop and detailed handouts this summer.  

Frequently Asked Questions

This information is up-to-date as of February 2018. Academic policies may change during the course of the program.

How many units do I need to graduate?
21 units

What is the minimum and maximum number of units I must take each summer?
Students must take between 10 units and 16 units per summer. Students may submit an Academic Rules Petition to take an overload of 17 units, or an underload of fewer than ten units per summer.  The petition must be approved before a student can overload or underload. Forms are available in bCourses or at the Registrar’s Office in 270 Simon Hall.

How do I adjust my courses?  
CalCentral is the online registration system students use to enroll in classes. The deadline to add/drop  courses online through CalCentral is the end of the first day of the quarter in which the class is offered.  Students may not drop any required courses.

Can I skip one of the quarters?
You must be enrolled in courses during three consecutive Quarters. If you begin the program in Quarter 1 you may skip Quarter 4; if you begin in Quarter 2 you must attend Quarter 4 but may skip Quarter 1.

Can I take a course with the same title or course number (e.g. 202F Contracts) more than once?
No. This includes courses with the same title, but with different units and taught by different professors, in different semesters.

How do I know what courses will be offered next summer?
By early January we will provide students with a course schedule for the following summer.

How can I look up teaching evaluations for courses or for professors?
Evaluations for courses and professors are accessible to students online at http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/tevals-admin/tevalChoose.php. You can search by professor or course name.

How do students evaluate courses?
All students at Berkeley Law have the opportunity to evaluate their instructors at the end of each course.  Our online course evaluations give the students, the instructors, and the administration valuable feedback about our courses and instructors. Instructors use your evaluations to improve their teaching; the administration uses your evaluations to identify successful teachers and to provide support for those who are struggling in the classroom, and your fellow students use evaluations to choose their classes.  Each semester, more than 80% of our students submit evaluations in all of their classes.  We look forward to your participation in this important school-wide activity.

Is class attendance mandatory?  
Students are expected to prepare fully for class and to participate actively in class discussion. Regular attendance and preparation of assignments are required.  An instructor may exclude a student from a class for which the student is unprepared, and may exclude a student from the final examination on the basis of repeated unexcused absences or unpreparedness. If a student cannot attend a class due to an unforeseen emergency, the student must inform the professor.  In determining the student’s grade in the course, the instructor may consider the quality of a student’s preparation and his or her participation in class discussion.  

How do I know whether courses have prerequisites?
The course description for each course notes if there are prerequisites.

Will Berkeley Law provide academic advising, professional development, and student services to me during the nine months in between the summer semesters?
No.  Professional LL.M. students are registered Berkeley Law students during the two summer semesters in which they are enrolled in classes at the law school.  Our resources during the nine months between summer semesters are dedicated to students in the Traditional and Thesis Track, while our resources during the summer are devoted to the Professional Track.  Of course, we in the ADP office are available to answer urgent questions that arise during the nine months between your two summer semesters , but we cannot provide student service support to Professional LL.M. students during this time in the way that we do so over the summer.  If you are in the rare circumstance that you know you will be in the Bay Area between summer semesters, we encourage you to take advantage of that time by finding a way to gain valuable work experience or enroll in an educational program outside of Berkeley Law that will provide you with additional skills that you can apply in your career going forward.

Are LL.M. students graded on a curve?
A grading curve applies to all LL.M. students such that 20% of the students receive HHs, 30% receive Hs, and 50% receive Ps. A professor can deviate from the curve in any size class if he or she believes that a PC or NC is the appropriate grade for a student.

Can I change the grading option in a course?
No. The grade option for a course is set by the instructor, and students don’t have the ability to alter their grading option.

Who assigns my grade for a course?
The course instructor is solely responsible for assigning grades to students in a course. There is no grading ‘committee’. Questions or concerns about grades should always be first directed to the instructor, who can explain the reasoning behind the grade you were assigned.

Do LL.M. students ever get PC or NC grades?
Yes, if the professor feels that your performance does not warrant a “Pass” or better, you can receive a grade of PC or a NC. A PC (Pass-Conditional) grade means that your performance was “substandard,” but you still receive credit towards your degree for the course. An NC (No-Credit) grade means that you do not receive credit for the course. Students who violate the Academic Honor Code will receive a failing grade in the course.

Are there any student awards for best grades?
There is a Dean’s List designation for students in the top 10% of the class. There are Best Memorandum and Best Oral Presentation awards for students with the best written work or oral presentation in their LRW section. There is also a High Score Award for the top scoring student in each section of Fundamentals of U.S. Law.

What is the Honor Code and why is it important?
The Honor Code is an important tradition at Berkeley Law, and it governs the conduct of students during examinations and in all other academic and professional activities. Students may inadvertently violate the Honor Code by insufficiently citing sources when writing (plagiarism) or not strictly following exam instructions. Violation of the Honor Code can have consequences ranging from failing a class to being reported to the state bar authorities and having the violation noted on your transcript. Please carefully review the Honor Code at the Appendix of this handbook, or at https://www.law.berkeley.edu/academics/registrar/academic-rules/academic-honor-code/ If you have any questions about the Honor Code please ask an advisor who will be happy to answer any related questions.

How do I fulfill the LL.M. Capstone Writing Requirement?
Students must complete a Capstone Writing Project consisting of a research paper of at least 15 pages in length. Students will fulfill this requirement by successfully completing Legal Research and Writing. U.S. or Canadian-trained students, or students from other common-law countries who waive out of Legal Research and Writing will need to complete the Capstone Writing Requirement by taking Advanced Writing & Legal Scholarship or a different class that requires at least a 15 page paper. (Information about waiving LRW is available above under Degree Requirements: Required Coursework).

Where can I find information about the Certificates of Specialization?
Information about Certificates of Specialization for LL.M. students can be found online at

Certificate in Business Law:

Certificate in Law and Technology:

Certificate in Public Law & Regulation:

Certificate in Energy & Environmental Law:

Will the Certificate of Specialization appear on my diploma?
No. The Certificate of Specialization is not noted on the LL.M. diploma.

Will the Certificate of Specialization appear on my transcript?
Yes. The Certificate of Specialization is noted on your transcript.

Can I earn more than one Certificate?
There are no restrictions on the number of Certificates students earn, but course scheduling may prohibit earning more than one.

Can I fulfill the requirements for the California Bar and obtain one of the certificates?
It may be possible, but course scheduling may prohibit satisfying the requirements for both.  Students interested in fulfilling both the requirements for the California Bar and one of the certificates must plan their schedules accordingly from the beginning of the LL.M. program and should make an academic advising appointment in their first quarter of the first summer in order to do so.  

How do I learn more about the J.S.D. Program?
Basic information about the program is online at https://www.law.berkeley.edu/academics/doctoral-programs/jsd/. General inquiries can be emailed to adpoffice@law.berkeley.edu. You can also make an appointment with Evelyn Borchert in the ADP Office, who administers the J.S.D. program.

Can I work during the LL.M. professional track?
The professional track is an intensive academic program and is not designed for students to work while enrolled.  We strongly advise that students not work during the program.

In addition, students who are in the United States on an F-1 Visa may not work off campus.  Questions regarding your visa status and ability to work should be directed to the Berkeley International Office.

F-1 students may legally work in on-campus jobs (when the payment is from the university), however, most campus jobs are work study positions limited to undergraduates, so LL.M. students who want to work are unable to fill these positions.  Finally, students may contact faculty members directly to inquire about research assistant positions but these are quite rare over the summer and when they do exist are typically filled by J.D. students who are not enrolled in courses over the summer.

If I am enrolled in the professional track, what are my prospects for finding work in the U.S. either between semesters or after graduation?
The professional track is designed to enable foreign-trained attorneys to temporarily leave their practices for shortened periods of intense study and then continue law practice in their home nation between semesters and after receiving their degrees.  It is not designed for international students who are looking for legal employment in the U.S. In addition to the extremely competitive nature of the U.S. legal job market, particularly for foreign-trained attorneys, the unique structure of the professional track  – combined with the legal restrictions imposed under U.S. immigration law – make it highly unlikely that students in this track will be able to work in the U.S. on a temporary or permanent basis.  

For example, professional track students do not qualify for F-1 Optional Practical Training that normally allows an international student to work in the U.S. for up to twelve months upon graduation. As a result, to be able to work in the U.S., you would be required to obtain a “non-immigrant work visa” which would require a U.S. legal employer’s sponsorship. Such sponsorship is extremely rare for all  LL.M. students.  

If your ability to legally enter (and remain) here in the U.S. is not typical (i.e., if it is not based on having an international student visa) – or, if you have a strong basis for believing that a U.S. legal employer will sponsor you for a “non-immigrant work visa”, you should contact one of our professional development counselors who can provide you with a more in-depth analysis of your job prospects and counsel you on your job search.  Before meeting with a professional development counselor, it is important for these students to know that the job market within the United States is highly competitive and that LL.M. students are perceived as lateral candidates by law firms and other employers and must seek out post-graduate employment through the typical lateral candidate channels – networking and applying to job postings.  There is no on-campus recruiting that takes place for LL.M. professional, traditional, or thesis track students.

Student Life: Tips and Information

You will want to open a bank account as soon as possible to keep your money in a secure location. To make purchases or pay bills in the U.S., your options include check writing, cash from Automated Teller Machines (ATM), debit or credit cards, and online banking. You should open a checking account to pay bills such as rent or utilities. Most checking accounts include an ATM/debit card so you can withdraw money from your account and use it for purchases.  

Be aware that some debit cards have credit card logos on them (such as Visa, MasterCard etc.) and can function like a credit card for purchases. However, the payment is drawn from your checking account directly.

The following bank locations are within walking distance of the UCB campus. These banks have ATM machines located throughout the city and state:

Bank of America
2347 Telegraph Ave. (510) 273-5443
2129 Shattuck Ave. (510) 273-5466
Berkeley, CA 94704

Wells Fargo
2460 Bancroft Way,
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 464-2266

To have high-speed internet at home, you will need to purchase either DSL or cable service. The top two companies that serve the Bay Area are Comcast and AT&T.  You may look at their options to decide what is best for you. Check their web sites for more information.

Since you may already have a mobile phone in your home country, you will need to inquire about its use in the U.S.; many companies have international plans.  However, it may be more economical to purchase a new phone after you arrive here. Do some research in advance by looking at websites of the major cell phone companies such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, MetroPCS, and Sprint. Look for a plan that does not require a year-long contract.

As a student temporarily in the U.S., you will likely want to buy inexpensive furniture and household goods.

New Furniture
4400 Shellmound St.
Emeryville, CA 94608 (510) 420-4532


2187 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704 (510) 982-3726
    1057 Eastshore Hwy Albany, CA 94710 (510) 982-0512

Used Furniture
Search under San Francisco – East Bay for items in the local area. You will likely have to pick up the items yourself. Be sure to read the safety and fraud precautions for using craigslist, as it is not monitored by any authority.
•    http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
•    http://www.craigslist.org/about/safety

The Goodwill Store
2058 University Ave Berkeley CA 94704
(510) 649-1287

1444 Shattuck Place   
Berkeley, CA 94709        
Whole Foods
The Whole Foods Market specializes in natural and organic foods. Their prices are higher than most other grocery stores.
3000 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 649-1333

Trader Joe’s
1885 University Ave    or   5727 College Ave
Berkeley, CA 94703          Oakland, CA 94618
(510) 204-9074                   (510) 923-9428

Berkeley Bowl
2020 Oregon St.    or   920 Heinz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94703          Berkeley, CA
(510) 843-6929          (510) 898-9555

Students with Families

If your spouse or children accompany you during your stay in the U.S., you will need unique services and resources to help your family feel at home.

Support for Spouses and Families

If your spouse decides to pursue a degree program while in the U.S., speak with an advisor in Berkeley International Office http://internationaloffice.berkeley.edu well in advance to make sure it is legally possible to do so.

Besides going to school or working, there are other ways to meet new friends and find community.  A group called the University Section Club (http://universitysectionclub.berkeley.edu) sponsors a weekly gathering of international spouses (and some children) at the University YWCA on Bancroft Way called “The Centre.”  

A great website to find information related to children, parenting, families and a wide variety of other topics related to living in the Bay Area.

Most child care in the U.S. is not supported by the government and is privately-owned.  Families are responsible for finding suitable child care for their children and paying for it on their own. Two resources of great help to UC Berkeley students and scholars are:

University Early Childhood Education Program
www.housing.berkeley.edu/child is for infants and pre-school children at UCB. Space in the summer is limited.

Bananas Child Care Information and Referral Service
www.bananasinc.org is a community-based service for finding either regular daily care or the occasional babysitter.

Follow the links below to learn more about campus and local summer camps for children.

Cal Camps & Youth Programs offers a range of sports and science camps for children 5-17 years old: http://camps.berkeley.edu/

Berkeley Day Camp is a camp run by the city of Berkeley for children ages 5-12: http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Parks_Rec_Waterfront/Recreation/Berkeley_Day_Camp.aspx

The Lawrence Hall of Science offers full or half day summer camps for children 4 years old through 17 years old: http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/visit/camps_and_classes

UC Berkeley Botanical Garden Green Stuff Day Camp is science for children 5-10 years old. It runs Monday through Friday 9am-2pm: http://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/whatsnew/green_stuff.html

East Bay Summer Camp Guide

Berkeleyside Summer Camp Guide

Parking and Transportation

There are many student parking lots just off of the UCB campus. Visit the Parking and Transportation Office website at http://pt.berkeley.edu for information on obtaining a campus parking permit, campus parking maps, campus shuttle buses / emergency night shuttle buses and other helpful resources. Student summer permits will be available for purchase online: http://pt.berkeley.edu/parking/student-permits/student-permits Student parking is available for $296 per summer semester.

While at Berkeley, you will likely use two main modes of public transportation: BART and buses.

Bay Area Rapid Transit System (BART)
BART is a local light rail / subway system that serves the entire Bay Area. Stops include San Francisco Airport (SFO), downtown San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Fremont, Richmond, and Concord.  BART runs seven days a week. Fares vary according to the distance to be traveled. The closest BART station to campus is the Downtown Berkeley BART. www.bart.gov

Alameda County (AC) Transit Bus System
The Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District is the third-largest public bus system in California, serving Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, Oakland and Kensington. AC Transit buses run through the UCB campus and also carry passengers across the Bay into San Francisco. UCB students get a bus pass (called the Class Pass) at the beginning of each semester that allows unlimited use on this bus system. www.actransit.org/

Berkeley is a bike-friendly city, with bike friendly streets (Bicycle Boulevards), a fully accessible campus, the possibility to take your bike on public transport (bus and BART) and plenty of bike (repair) shops.

Two well-known places to buy a (new) bike are:
-Mike’s Bikes (http://mikesbikes.com/) on University Avenue, and
-Performance Bikes (www.performancebike.com) on San Pablo.

While drivers in Berkeley may be bike conscious, and in general share the road with bicyclists, a helmet is still a good idea! Bike theft in Berkeley is common, even in populated places. It is wise to invest in a very good lock. Register your bike with the University Police Department: https://ucpd.berkeley.edu/news/bicycle-registration


All students at UC Berkeley are required to have health insurance for themselves and any accompanying dependents. Students are covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) upon payment of registration fees. To read more about insurance coverage, see the University Health Service’s web site at www.uhs.berkeley.edu/index.shtml

2222 Bancroft Way
Students can use the University health facility, called the Tang Center, just as they would their regular doctor’s office. Spouses of Berkeley students and scholars may also use the Tang Center on a fee-for-service basis. You may use your student ID card to get services at the Tang Center if you are covered by SHIP.

The Tang Center services include: routine medical exams. Lab tests, x-rays, physical therapy, pharmacy, urgent care, mental health counseling, career counseling, and vision care eye clinic. Please see their website for a full description of all their services: www.uhs.berkeley.edu/index.shtml

2301 Bancroft Way
http://recsports.berkeley.edu/ Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness, personal skills and quality of life for students, faculty, staff, and the community, by providing facilities, programs, activities and the opportunity for cooperative and competitive play.

Wellness at Boalt
Some people love every minute of law school. Some people don’t. Most students experience ups and downs as rigorous academic demands intersect with family obligations, daily life, and countless personal and professional events beyond Berkeley Law As with any major undertaking, you will get more out of law school if you take care of yourself mentally, physically, socially, and emotionally.

Especially as an international student, the stresses of law school can become compounded due to the extra stresses of acclimating to a new language and culture. Homesickness may occur, which can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation. The stresses of moving to a completely new place can be eased by just sitting down and talking to someone who cares. Emergency situations are not the only reason to seek counseling.  

Personal psychological counseling is provided by Berkeley Law’s  dedicated Psychologist, Dr. Linda Zaruba. All counseling is confidential. You can reach Dr. Zaruba by phone (510) 643-5447 or by email: zaruba@uhs.berkeley.edu

In the U.S., it is very common to talk with a counselor about problems or difficulties involving academic work, personal relationships, stress, unhappiness, and an individual’s view of himself or herself, etc. In different cultures, these problems may be viewed and treated differently. For example, if you experience difficulties when you are living in your home country, perhaps you would turn to your family or friends for help and advice. During your stay in the U.S., you may be apart from all family and close friends, and you may feel the need to find substitute sources of emotional support. A counselor can help you determine what the difficulty is, help you see options that you might not have seen, and help you resolve the difficulty. By law, all conversations are kept confidential. 

The Disabled Students’ Program (DSP) is committed to ensuring that all students with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities at UC Berkeley. They offer a wide range of services for students with disabilities. These services are individually designed, and based on the specific needs of each student as identified by our Disability Specialists.

All new students seeking services through DSP are responsible for completing the following five (5) steps before they can enroll in DSP:

•    Submit an online application for DSP services at https://dssonline.berkeley.edu/scarab/applicant/studentInfoReview.faces. When you submit your online application, you will be provided information on what type of disability verification to provide, and who to schedule an appointment with. Please print out this page for your records.

  • Provide DSP with verification of your disability in advance of your “intake appointment” with a Disability Specialist.
  • Initiate a request to schedule an appointment with a Disability Specialist for an intake interview by calling or contacting the DSP receptionist. The DSP phone number is 510-642-0518.
  • Meet with your Disability Specialist during your “intake appointment”, to discuss the accommodations or services you may be eligible to receive.
  • After you have been approved for accommodations and services by your Disability Specialist, request accommodation letters and auxiliary services online. Make this request at the beginning of each semester in which you will require accommodation letters or auxiliary services.

You must initiate and complete these five (5) steps before you may be approved for DSP services. If you are unable to complete the online application process, you can request assistance in person from the DSP receptionist.


To stay current on all events at Berkeley Law, please visit the following:

The Student Organization for Advanced Legal Studies (SOALS) is an independently run student organization for LL.M. students at Berkeley Law. The primary goal of the organization is to facilitate the social and professional needs of the LL.M. students while studying at Berkeley Law. Through social, professional, and academic activities, SOALS aspires to build relationships among the LL.M. class. SOALS is responsible for acting as a liaison between the student body and the ADP office; we are happy to work with SOALS and are open to suggestions on how to improve the program and student life in general at Berkeley Law.

Each year, the professional track program will have one SOALS 2S President. The 2S class president will have the honor of delivering the graduation speech during the commencement ceremony . We will send an announcement with instructions on how to run for class president. The election will take place in the third quarter of your first year.

SOALS 2S class president: Your current class president, Rafael Pereira, can be reached via email at: rafaelchrispereira@berkeley.edu

Best of Berkeley

La Note
Delicious French-inspired food, one of the best breakfast experiences in Berkeley. On a sunny day try and get a spot on the back patio and enjoy your Crème Fraiche pancakes and coffee on a cozy porch amidst beautiful leafy foliage. Location: 2377 Shattuck Avenue
510-843-1525 Website: www.lanoterestaurant.com

The Albatross Pub
Although it is quite a trek from campus, the oldest pub in Berkeley offers an inviting atmosphere in which to hang out with a large group of friends and play a range of board games, pool and darts while eating popcorn and drinking practically any drink you can imagine. Great way to spend a weekend evening!  Location: 1822 San Pablo Ave., 510-843-2473 Website: www.albatrosspub.com

Triple Rock Brewery
Great place to spend a Thursday, the only night on which they sell their famous Monkey Head beer. This bar has a great atmosphere and is always busy with a great mix of Berkeley students, locals, and sports fans. Location: 1920 Shattuck Ave., 510-843-2739 Website: http://triplerock.com/

Free House
This restaurant/bar located directly across the street from Boalt offers good service, a nice front and back patio, and nice drinks and food that will completely satisfy those that are just too tired to trek anywhere farther and just want to socialize without putting in too much effort. Location:  2700 Bancroft Way, 510-647-2300 Website: http://berkeleyfreehouse.com/

What could be better than delicious pizza and beer in one wonderfully inviting place? In the summer or on a warm night take a seat on the eclectic back patio and listen to some live music amongst the twinkling garden lights with friends or a date, you will probably leave with a smile on your face. Location:  2181 Shattuck Avenue (at Center Street), 510-THE-ROCK Website: www.jupiterbeer.com

Truly a Berkeley must, this cooperative pizza joint sells one type of pizza a day that will never leave you disappointed. On the weekend evenings they will host live music that will keep you hanging around on a warm summer night.  If you have a craving for mind-blowing cheese head next door to their cheese shop which will allow you to travel the world through the medium of cheese. Location: 1504 / 1512 Shattuck Ave, 510-549-3183 Website: http://www.cheeseboardcollective.coop/

Philz Coffee
Right down the street from Cheeseboard, this cute coffee shop allegedly serves the best coffee in Berkeley. The classic Mint Mojito with fresh mint will be a refreshing way to quench your thirst while studying on the upper level of this fun café.  Location: 1600 Shattuck Ave, 510-705-1083 Website: http://www.philzcoffee.com/

Brazil Café
On the West Side of campus resides a small and colorful hut serving authentic Brazilian food that no one would miss walking by. If you fancy a stroll through the redwoods on the western part of campus, you will be rewarded by your efforts with a delicious tri-tip sandwich or rice bowl that you can take away to the grass on campus, or can eat outside next to this colorful stand.  Location: 2162 University Ave. 510-845-8011 Website: http://brazilcafeberkeley.com/

Fire Trails
Looking for a great outdoor atmosphere to get some exercise? Head over to the Clark Kerr campus and keep heading uphill until you reach one of the dirt paths leading up into the Claremont Regional Preserve where you will not only gain great exercise from walking up steep hills, but also the most rewarding views of the entire Bay Area. Getting to the top of the hill from Clark Kerr takes only about twenty minutes and will leave you feeling as if you have conquered the world and stumbled upon one of Berkeley’s hidden treasures.
Location & Website: www.ebparks.org/parks/claremont_canyon

Tilden Park
If you are tired of the urban atmosphere or bogged down by excessive studying, head up to Tilden Park for a few hours to take in some awe-inspiring views and nature that will leave you feeling refreshed and motivated to continue on in your work with a more positive outlook. You can swim in the lake for a few dollars or you can hike up into the hills to get exercise, breath the fresh air, and gain a geographical perspective of the East Bay. Location & Website:  http://www.ebparks.org/parks/tilden

College Avenue
An area that many miss as it is located on the south side of campus, but truly is worth spending an afternoon strolling down. Explore the different local ma and pa shops and grab some ice cream at Ici’s where you will always find a line waiting for some delicious handmade ice cream. Keep walking downhill and you will pass delicious restaurants like Wood Tavern and Southie in addition to The Trappist, a specialty beer shop. You will also pass Cole coffee, which has a very dedicated following. After a decently long walk down College you will probably be hungry and will be graciously rewarded by a slice of deep-dish pizza at Zachary’s, one of Berkeley’s oldest and most well-known pizza places. If you are feeling crazy, head over to Smitten where you will be able to get liquid nitrogen ice cream made right in front of you. Walking back up college you will hit The Graduate, a famous Berkeley bar on Claremont and College that offers cheap drinks, a fun dive-bar atmosphere, and free popcorn!

Emergency and Safety Information

Emergency Contact Information

  • Call 911 or, if on campus dial 642-3333
    In the event of an emergency, call 911 from anywhere on campus, or from a cell phone call 642-3333. For non-emergencies or information, call UCPD at 642-6760. 
  • UC Berkeley Police Department Address:
    1 Sproul Hall
    Berkeley, CA 94720-1199


The Campus offers free night safety services to get you safely from campus locations to destinations within our service area. The Night Safety Shuttles run until 4 AM and you can see where a shuttle is on the online map. For information about all night safety services, go to nightsafety.berkeley.edu. To see shuttles on their routes on an online map, go to bearwalk.berkeley.edu/shuttles after 7:30 PM.

Night Safety Escorts (BearWALK)
Uniformed, trained, and radio-equipped Community Service Officers (CSOs) provide a walking escort to nearby residences, public transportation, or parking lots. The service is available from dusk to 1:45 a.m. To request an escort, call 642-WALK (510-642-9255); a CSO will arrive in 15 minutes.

Night Safety Shuttles (Bear Transit)
The Night Safety Shuttle service is an extension of the BearTransit daytime service, and provides safe nighttime transit to and from the campus. Bear Transit Night Safety Shuttles are free to all and operate year-round*. From 7:30pm to 4am shuttles run on one of two set routes between campus, BART, Clark Kerr Campus and residence halls.

Night Time Personal Safety

  • Utilize the free Night Safety Services located at http://nightsafety.berkeley.edu 
  • Travel with a friend or in a group
  • Be alert and aware of your surroundings
  • Avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas
  • Use well-lit, well-traveled routes
  • Dial 510-642-3333 or use a Blue Light emergency phone if you need help

The campus home page is your first stop for emergency information; if the homepage isn’t available, go to the campus emergency website. News and instructions will also be updated regularly on an emergency hotline, 800/705-9998, and on radio broadcasts in the Bay Area from KALX 90.7FM or KCBS 740AM.

Top Tips for Campus Safety

  1. If you feel you’ve been a victim of a crime, please report it. It’s for your protection and the protection of others. Your report, along with others like it, might show a crime trend, or give UCPD clues to stop other crimes. If someday the police recover your property, your report could help them return it to you.
  2. The most important thing to know about walking at night: Be alert! If you’re not aware of your surroundings, you may be a walking target. When you’re walking alone at night, don’t walk with headphones in your ears or have a long conversation on your cell phone. The campus itself is relatively safe, but in this urban area, we are NOT immune to crime.

Three easy ways to make a report

  1. Use your cell phone, in an EMERGENCY. On or near campus, dial UCPD (510/642-3333). If elsewhere in the city, call Berkeley Police Department (510/981-5911). Program ahead of time, so it’s a one-button call.
  2. You can ALWAYS dial 911 from any phone anywhere! A landline (including a code blue phone) on campus will get you direct to UCPD dispatch.
  3. For non-emergency reports, call UCPD 24-hours (510/642-6760) or report an ongoing crime anonymously online using CalTip Info: police.berkeley.edu/caltip/

Bike Safety Tips

  • Always lock your bike to a bicycle rack.
  • Use a high quality “U” shaped lock. Avoid using lightweight cables or chains.
  • Always lock your bicycle through the frame and both wheels to a bicycle parking rack.
  • Lock all free parts of bike or take them with you.
  • Avoid leaving your bicycle locked outside overnight.
  • Always wear a helmet. For night riding, use a headlight, a red rear reflector, two side reflectors on each wheel and reflector pedals.

Protect your laptop

  • Do not leave laptops unattended. Do not walk away from it, even for “a minute.”
  • Secure your laptop with quality software and hardware (cable locks, storage cabinets).
  • Try to keep laptop computers and other portable electronics with you.

Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) Safety

  • Try to use the ATM during daylight hours. If you have to get cash at night, go with someone else and only use machines that are visible from a major street and well lit.
  • When entering your secret code, cover the pad with your hand.
  • Always take your transaction receipts and statements.
  • Do not count or display money at the ATM.
  • Do not accept offers of help from anyone you don’t know. If you have problems or questions contact your bank.

Vehicle Safety

  • Park in well-lit, heavily populated areas. Trust your instincts, if something doesn’t feel right, find another place to park.
  • Avoid parking next to occupied vehicles.
  • Do not leave valuable items visible in your car.
  • Always roll up all windows and lock all doors before leaving your vehicle.

Phone Safety

  • Avoid making your phone visible walking down the street at night.  People around you may notice you while you are focusing on your phone and could surprise you by taking it.
  • Avoid showing your phone’s earphones at night.  If you want to listen to music, choose a dark color of earphones that is hard to see or get dark wireless earphones to make it even harder to spot.
  • Download the “Find My Droid” app in the Google Play Store for Android or setup “Find My iPhone” in your iPhone iCloud settings to be able to locate your phone remotely.
  • In the City of Berkeley, rental units must have deadbolt locks on all doors leading to the outside. Make sure all hallways, entrances, garages, and grounds are well lit. Leave spare keys with friends-not under the doormat, in mailboxes, or in common sense hiding places. 
  • Lock your apartment door and windows when you leave.

Berkeley Law is committed to supporting anyone who has experienced any form of harassment or discrimination that impedes one’s right to a safe work or learning environment. Sexual Harassment includes unwelcome sexual advances, unwelcome requests for sexual favors, and other unwelcome verbal, nonverbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.  

The university provides the following resources for students who believe they have experienced or witnessed sexual harassment, or who have concerns about a potential issue:

Berkeley Law Resources to Respond to Sexual Harassment https://www.law.berkeley.edu/harassment/

University of California Sexual Harassment and Violence Policy

Office of Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination

Sexual Harassment & Violence Survivor Support

APPENDIX: Law School Academic Honor Code

The Honor Code is a tradition at Berkeley Law. Men and women who are preparing to enter the legal profession are expected to exhibit the same qualities of honesty, responsibility, and respect for the rights of others that are demanded of members of the Bar. The Honor Code governs the conduct of students during examinations and in all other academic and pre-professional activities at Berkeley Law. In addition, students are bound by the Campus Rules of Student Conduct, which govern matters such as dishonesty, forgery and sexual harassment.

Primary responsibility for respecting the appropriate rules rests with each individual student and with the student body as a whole. Students, faculty and staff are urged to bring apparent violations to the attention of the Instructor and/or the Dean. The Honor Code can be successful only to the extent that it is seen to have the overwhelming support of student and faculty opinion and to be taken seriously by everyone.

A student, faculty, or staff member witnessing any violation or apparent violation of this Code should bring the matter to the attention of the Dean. After discussion with the alleged violator, the instructor, and other affected or knowledgeable persons, the Dean (or the Dean’s designated representative) shall determine if informal resolution of the matter is appropriate. If informal resolution is inappropriate, or if the person accused of a violation does not agree to the resolution, the Dean shall refer the matter to the Campus Dean of Students for appropriate action under the disciplinary rules and procedures of the Berkeley Campus. Informal resolutions may be reported to the Campus Student Conduct Office as needed for their purposes. The Dean also has the responsibility to decide whether information pertaining to violations is relevant to Bar admissions standards and must be reported to the appropriate State Bar authorities. If this is done, the Dean shall send a copy, or notice of such report, to the student so reported.

The basic guide for a student taking an examination or participating in any other academic activity is a sense of honesty and integrity. Students are expected to rely on their own knowledge and ability, and not use unauthorized materials or represent the work of others as their own. These standards apply also to papers, oral presentations; work in clinical programs, or other activities for which academic credit is assigned, except where the instructor provides otherwise. Examinations at Berkeley Law usually are not monitored, and “take-home” examinations are often employed. Students should be scrupulously careful not to consult materials except as permitted by the rules of the particular examination, not to obtain or receive unauthorized help, and not to continue writing after time has been called. Students who are allowed to take an examination either before or after the normal date should not give or obtain any information about the content of the examination. Because examinations at Berkeley Law are generally graded on the curve system, violations of the letter or the spirit of the rules are violations of the rights of other students, as well as of the standards of integrity required by this school and the legal profession.

Instructors also have an obligation to minimize the likelihood that cheating will occur or that some students will obtain an unfair advantage over others. In particular, instructors should be careful to avoid using old examination questions or questions in use at a neighboring institution if under the circumstances this is likely to provide an opportunity for some students to obtain an unfair advantage. Instructors are also encouraged to cooperate with staff to see that examinations are fairly and efficiently administered.

Due to the Library’s central importance in furthering research and study, and the heavy use of library materials by law students and others, it is important that the posted rules of the library be strictly observed; violation of library rules is a violation of the Academic Honor Code. In particular, mutilation or theft of library material is absolutely forbidden. (It also is a criminal offense.) Any violation should be reported promptly to the Dean for appropriate action in consultation with the Librarian. All Law Library users, including students, should cooperate to see that materials are returned promptly as required under the rules and that they are reshelved or made available for reshelving promptly after use.