Courses@BoaltNOTE: Course offerings change. Classes offered this semester may not be offered in future semesters.
247 sec. 1 - Energy and Infrastructure Project Finance (Spring 2013)Instructor: Allan T. Marks (view instructor's teaching evaluations | profile)
View all teaching evaluations for this course
Course Control Number (Non-1Ls): 49739
This course will explore the key commercial, legal, economic and policy issues affecting the development and financing of infrastructure projects, with special emphasis on practical concerns related to investments in alternative energy and other power generation facilities and transportation facilities.
Many of these topics will be raised in the context of comparative, real-world case studies of different types of energy and infrastructure projects. Issues specific to cross-border or international transactions will be discussed as relevant. By the end of the course, within the specific context of mobilizing capital to meet the growing demand for clean power and critical infrastructure, students should gain an understanding of the following general concepts:
* how commercial and financial interests, regulation, private contracts and market factors dynamically interrelate;
* how to optimize/analyze financing structures, leverage and investor return;
* how various project risks are identified, allocated, mitigated and priced, and the roles of contracts, hedges and insurance products in managing risk;
* how regulatory incentives and public policy choices either curtail or facilitate particular investment opportunities, often in unintended ways; and
* how finance plays a role in moving new energy technologies from lab to market, from small-scale deployments to large-scale, and across national borders.
Please note this course will meet Sunday 3/3 and Sunday 3/17 from 9am-5pm, C125 Cheit Hall.
If you are the instructor or their FSU, you may add a file like a syllabus or a first assignment to this page.
Required Books are in blue
- Modern project finance
Benjamin C. Esty
Publisher: [New York] : J. Wiley, c2004.
Copyright Date: To Be Determined
Note: prices are sampled from internet bookstores. Folletts prices are unavailable at this time.