LL.M. & J.S.D. Programs
One LL.M. Degree - Two Tracks
LL.M. students can earn certificates of specialization in one of several subjects:
- Business Law (both tracks)
- Law & Technology (both tracks)
- Public Law & Regulation (professional track only)
- Environmental Law (traditional track only)
- Energy & Clean Technology (traditional track only)
- International Law (traditional track only)
LL.M. Professional Track
The professional track is designed for lawyers educated outside the U.S. who want an internationally renowned Berkeley Law degree, but can’t leave professional commitments for an entire year. Candidates conduct their study over two consecutive summer sessions, and they are taught by the same faculty as traditional-track students. A rigorous curriculum includes business law, intellectual property, and core U.S. law courses; our flexible start dates enable the program to fit into your life. Students can earn certificates of specialization in Business Law, Public Law, or Law & Technology (IP). Start dates for the 2015 term are May 18 (Q1 start) and June 10 (Q2 start).
LL.M. Traditional Track
The traditional track, which runs during the school year from August to May, provides students with a range of opportunities, from obtaining a basic knowledge of the U.S. legal system to undertaking original research on a particular aspect of law. Designed to integrate American and international law students at various levels of study, the traditional track allows candidates to satisfy degree requirements by enrolling in courses and seminars from among those offered to law students pursuing the J.D. degree. The 2015-16 traditional track is tentatively scheduled to begin on August 17, 2015.
The J.S.D. program is a three-year doctorate level program. Candidacy for the J.S.D. degree is competitive and is open only to those who have completed an LL.M. degree and are engaged in or planning careers in academic or other work that emphasizes legal scholarship. Each J.S.D. student works closely with a faculty advisor who specializes in a field of law related to the student's research.
Law School Graduation
PLLM Q1 Orientation
Why Berkeley Law?
- A top-tier education. Berkeley Law is ranked among the top law schools in the world, offering a superb education in both established and emerging fields of law.
- World-renowned faculty. Our professors are internationally recognized experts in a variety of legal fields, including business law, IP law and social justice.
- Flexibility. Berkeley Law offers a professional track LL.M. taking place over the course of two consecutive summers. Designed for lawyers who cannot leave their home countries for a year, this program leads to the same degree and utilizes the same faculty as the traditional track.