Accessing the Collection
The Robbins Collection reading room is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The reference desk is staffed continuously during reading room hours.
Jennifer K. Nelson, Reference Librarian
Reading Room Policies
- The Robbins Collection reading room is for use only by patrons using collection materials.
- Materials must be handled according to the instructions outlined here: Handling Policies for Robbins Collection Materials.
- Robbins Collection materials are non-circulating and must be consulted in the reading room.
- To request collection materials, fill out a separate call slip for each item requested (call slips are not required for using reference materials).
- Materials from other libraries, including the Law Library, must be checked out before being brought into the Robbins Collection reading room.
- Reader desks in the reading room are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Robbins Fellows are given priority if the reading room reaches capacity.
- Patrons may request a hold shelf if they wish to consult materials over a period of time. Hold shelves are for Robbins Collection materials only and will be cleared if not actively in use. Please inform a staff member if you no longer need your hold shelf.
- No food or drink (including water) is allowed in the reading room.
- No pens, highlighters, or any other ink may be used in the reading room. Pencils are available at the reference desk.
- Only acid-free paper may be used as place markers in collection materials (no adhesive notes).
- Digital cameras may be used to take images for personal research use only. Patrons wanting to take digital photos of Robbins Colletion materials must first read and sign a digital camera policy form.
- Cell phones must be turned off or switched to vibrate while in the reading room.
- Wet umbrellas should not be bought into the reading room.
- Smoking is prohibited in the reading room and in all other University of California buildings.