Getting Reimbursed

Use these instructions to prepare reimbursement requests for Berkeley Law employees and hosted guests.  Send completed travel and entertainment requests to Business Services for payment processing.  BearBuy requests will be automatically directed to Business Services as part of the eProcurement process.

If your reimbursement includes a wire transfer as the method of payment, go to the International Wire Transfers page on the blue sidebar for additional instructions.  If the reimbursement will be paid to a foreign individual, go to the Hosting Foreign Guests page of the Event Services website for additional instructions.

General reimbursements

How to Prepare a General Reimbursement in BearBuy (PDF)
Your reimbursements in BearBuy are a permanent, electronic record - REDACT personal financial information on any document you scan and attach to a shopping cart.  You can help us guard against the risk of identity theft by taking a few simple precautions. Click on Receipts and Proofs of Payment on the blue sidebar for a description of the details you should redact on receipts and proofs of payment. 

Entertainment expenses

Complete an Entertainment Certification Form to request reimbursement for food/beverage purchases. Entertainment Certification Form (Word)
Form Instructions (PDF)
Track Your Reimbursement (PDF)

Travel Expenses

Complete a Travel Expense Report form to request reimbursement of business-related trip costs.  If the traveler is a hosted guest and the employer will receive the reimbursement, you must include in your request an invoice to this effect provided by the employer.
Travel Expense Report (Excel)
Form Instructions (PDF)
Track Your Reimbursement (PDF)

Local parking, tolls and mileage

You can be reimbursed for expenses related to participation in activities that take place locally, such as attending business meetings and fundraising events or conferring with research associates and prospective donors. If your local activity included a meal with others, such as lunch with a prospective donor, make a note of the guest name(s) on your receipt so you can be reimbursed for this expense as a travel policy exception. Report your local trip expenses on a travel expense form or worksheet.

International travel - using per diems

Receipts are not required when you use the U.S. Department of State per diem allowances for foreign locations to report meals/incidentals (tips and gratuities) and lodging expenses. Clinics, centers and departments may establish per diem values for their travelers that are lower than those provided on this list. Per diems are not available for domestic travel in the United Sates - you must report actual expenses and provide receipts as explained on the Travel Report Form instructions (see above).

Reimbursements from other organizations and institutions

If you used personal funds for your expenditures and you will seek reimbursement from another organization, send your request directly to that payer. University policy prohibits the use of campus funds to reimburse expenses that do not belong to the University.

If you used Berkeley Law funds to pay for all or part of your expenditures and you will seek reimbursement from another organization, make sure to note this on your reimbursement request.  Business Services will prepare a direct reimbursement to you and then assist your designated budget officer with preparation of an invoice to the other organization for the necessary refund to the University.

Sign up for electronic deposit of your payments

If you haven’t already done so, take a moment to establish EFT instructions (electronic funds transfer) with the campus Disbursements Office.  Existing EFT instructions for your pay checks will automatically be applied to your reimbursement payments.    

Safeguard your social security number

Use only your employee or student ID number on documents sent to Business Services.  Social security numbers are never required for individual reimbursements to UC Berkeley faculty, staff and students.

Monitor your personal credit reports 

Everyone is entitled to one free yearly report from each of the three major credit-reporting bureaus as a result of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACT Act) of 2003.  UCPD offers a helpful b-safe Bulletin on identity theft.