Career Corner—Advice and Resources for Alumni
The Career Corner is a repository of helpful information for Boalt alumni who are looking for work – or pondering their next career move. Please also see the main CDO website for more information, and feel free to contact Director of Alumni Career Services Robert White for one-on-one counseling or more information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by scheduling an appointment online on the Alumni Resources page.
- Volunteer Opportunities (1/17/2012)
- Salary Negotiations - updated 8/22/2013 (12/19/2011)
Information, Salary Calculators and Articles on Negotiating Salaries and Responding to Salary Requirements
- Panel on In-House Careers - audio recording (4/28/2011)
Four Boalt Alums Speak About In-house Legal Careers
- Freelance Attorney Seminar - Video (10/10/2011)
Presentation by Marina Modlin, author of The Independence Track: How To Succeed As A Freelance Attorney, on September 1, 2011
- Updated FAQs on Temporary Legal Work and Staffing Agencies (4/4/2011)
Some tips on doing temp work while you wait for bar results, job-hunt, et cetera
- FAQs for Contract Lawyering (5/14/2010)
For attorneys who are between jobs or contemplating alternatives to a full-time position, working on a contract basis may be a good short or long-term option.
- Switching from Private Sector to Public Interest (4/16/2010)
Alums Neil McCabe '65 and Harry Jackson '56 have agreed to share their stories about making the switch from the private sector to the public sector.
- 5 Painless Ways to Grow Your Network (3/23/2012)
1. Hit refresh . . . , 2. network in small ways . . . .
- An Unexpected Switch in Practice Area Brings Growth and Satisfaction: Tomomi Glover ('06) (1/5/2011)
When Plan A Didn't Work, Staying In Touch With Friends Resulted in a Better Plan B
- A Bold Move That Actually Worked: Steve Koyanagi ('09) (1/5/2011)
Opting out of a second year of his clerkship without another job opportunity in a tough market wasn't an easy decision, but for this alum it all worked out
- Successfully Navigating the Course From Private Practice to Nonprofit: Jora Trang ('01) (1/5/2011)
After the recession made continuing her private practice of seven years impossible, this alum engineered a career transition culminating in getting her dream job at a nonprofit.
- 5 Big Steps From BigLaw to the SEC: Maggie Spillane ('01) (1/5/2011)
- Video Interview with Paul Melodia ('64)
- Video Interview with Rebecca DeKalb ('81)
- Video Interview with John Burris ('73)