3L Requirements FAQ

How do you know I am on track to meet the requirements for graduation?

Staff in the Registrar's Office reviews your academic progress during your third year of law school. You will be sent a Degree Check email which lists requirements you have completed and those in progress or not completed. You should check the information carefully and notify the Registrar's Office immediately if you find discrepancies.

Can you tell me about the graduation ceremony?

The law school Commencement Ceremony is normally held on the Saturday after exams in the Spring Semester. Tickets are required. The Greek Theatre is the large amphitheater on Piedmont Avenue, near Hearst Street. Since the ceremony is held outside, be sure to bring lots of water and sunscreen. The ceremony generally lasts between 2-3 hours. The Greek Theatre is accessible by bus, and driving is not recommended. More information about the Commencement Ceremony will be provided by Student Services toward the end of the Spring Semester.

Will you inform me after graduation if I completed all the requirements?

Our policy is that no news is good news. Therefore, if you do not hear from us within 4 weeks after finals you may assume that you have met the requirements for graduation. If you did not meet the requirements or if we have any questions about your record we will call you before the date of the California Bar examination. Make sure to leave your current address and phone number on BearFacts. Click here to go to Bear Facts and update your address and phone number.

Do I need to give you a form to be cleared by the Bar?

We will need to complete a Moral Character and Fitness Evaluation for you before you are cleared by the Bar. You should complete the application 6-10 months before you plan on practicing law and the Bar will forward the law school Moral Character and Fitness form to us. In order to clear you for the Bar we will also need to fill and remit the Law School Certificate. The Law School Certificate is sent directly to the Registrar's Office once you have completed the application to take the exam. If you are taking the Bar in another state, please give us the forms needed to certify you at least a month before the bar. For more information on the bar visit the Bar Information web page.

Will you send me a final transcript?

This office will NOT send you a transcript with your final grades unless you request and pay for one. If you would like a transcript showing your final grades and that you have graduated from this institution, you may request it before you graduate. We will hold the transcripts until your grades and degree conferred are put on the transcript. We will then hold for pick-up or send the request to you as you indicated on the transcript request. Transcripts with notation of the degree will not be available until after those degrees are officially conferred by the Academic Senate toward the end of July.

How do I receive my diploma?

About four months after your degree is conferred, you may obtain your diploma in person at the main campus Office of the Registrar, 120 Sproul Hall, or you may request to have it mailed to you. See the campus registrar's website for additional information: http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Records/diplomas.html.

To mail your request, write to the Office of the Registrar, Attention Diplomas, 128 Sproul Hall, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720-5404.

When will I find out if I met the requirements for the Order of the Coif?

If you have met the requirements for admission into the Order of the Coif you will be notified by mail by the Registrar. The Order of the Coif includes your final semester's grades and cannot be calculated until all the grades have been turned into the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar typically notifies the candidates in October. Again, make sure your address is correct so the Office of the Registrar knows where to find you. Click here to go to Bear Facts to update your address.

Where do I send address updates after I graduate?

Before you move away after graduation, please update your address on BearFacts. Thereafter, all address updates should be done through the Alumni & Development Office. Please click here to update your address with the Alumni & Development Office and learn about possible reunion activities for your class.