An admitted international student will normally come to the United States on an F-1 student visa or a J-1 exchange visitor visa. After you have been accepted and submitted your deposit, you will need to verify your funding for the academic year by returning a completed Confirmation of Financial Resources form, as well as a Non-Immigrant Information Form (or NIF), to the Berkeley International Office. Once these forms have been processed, you will receive a "Certificate of Eligibility" (I-20 or DS 2019) document to present at a U.S. embassy or consulate for a visa. Students from abroad are expected to return to their home countries upon completion of their studies.

For more information about the visa application process and requirements for international travel, see the following page:

To contact the Berkeley International Office, please send an e-mail to, or call (510) 642-2818.

For further information regarding the NIF, please see:

For questions on the NIF, please e-mail