Your complete application should include all of the following:
- Complete online application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal Summary
- Curriculum vitae (c.v.) or résumé
- Application fee of $75 (U.S.) in the form of:
• a credit card via LSAC (recommended), or
• a check issued in US dollars, or
• an international money order
Make check or money order payable to “UC Regents”. Do not send cash or travelers checks.
- Official academic records and, if available, a statement of your rank in the class from the authorities of your college(s) and of all graduate or professional schools you have attended. Only one set of your official transcripts is required when you apply. Academic records should be sent directly from the authorized issuing institution to the Advanced Law Degree Programs Office, or, if you have subscribed to LSAC's Credential Assembly Service, they should be sent directly to LSAC instead.
- Letters of recommendation from three of your law professors, preferably those who know you and your work well. If you have been out of school for a number of years, one or two employer references may substitute for references from law professors. Fill out the letter of recommendation forms (available in the supplemental forms section of the electronic application) and give one to each recommender. The letters of recommendation may be sent directly to the Advanced Law Degree Programs Office or may be returned to you in a sealed envelope and enclosed with your application materials. More about letters of recommendation...
- If English is not your primary language, submit recent scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). You must request that your Official Score Report be sent from the Educational Testing Service directly to the Advanced Law Degree Programs Office, or to LSAC if you have subscribed to the Credential Assembly Service. More about the English language requirement...
Electronically transmit or mail completed application documents, application fee payment and accompanying materials to the Advanced Law Degree Programs Office.
Applications must be submitted by the following deadlines:
- December 1, 2010 (all application materials must be submitted/postmarked) for BOTH the 2011-2012 Summer LL.M. program and the 2011-2012 academic year LL.M. program
- February 1, 2011 for the 2011-2014 J.S.D. program
Any supporting documents not uploaded with your application form should be mailed to:
UC Berkeley School of Law
Advanced Degree Programs Office
471 Boalt Hall #7200
Berkeley, CA 94720-7200
Applications will not be considered until all required application materials are received by the Advanced Law Degree Programs Office. All applications and supporting documents become the property of UC Berkeley School of Law and will not be returned. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all items are submitted before the deadline. Applicants are encouraged to submit completed application materials well before the deadline to allow time for an exchange of correspondence between the applicant and the Advanced Law Degree Programs Office, should clarification or additional information be required.
All questions regarding deposits, fees or refunds should be directed to the Advanced Degree Programs Office.