The Honorable John Racanelli
Hon. John T. Racanelli (Ret.) has three decades of dispute resolution experience. His expertise includescomplex business litigation, intellectual property, environmental law, and personal injury matters. He has been a private judge with JAMS since 1991.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Extensive experience with complex insurance coverage cases and business litigation and related financial issues involving very large claims. He has mediated and settled institutional coverage and damage cases involving millions of dollars.
- Extremely proficient at handling complex business, insurance, and intellectual property disputes. He has extensive experience in toxic tort cases, bad faith, and environmental disputes as well as cases involving catastrophic loss, computer technology, construction, sex discrimination, wrongful death, and employment.
- Has strong familiarity with substantive law and legal issues and has the practical ability and skills to manage major disputed issues and find a common basis for resolution.
- People v. Philip Morris, Special Master in tobacco litigation
- Oak Technology Securities, Special Master, securities litigation
- Swan v. Antek, intellectual property dispute arbitration
- Hotel Bora Bora v. Marsh/M. Lennon, catastrophic insurance case
- Miottel v. Bank of America, mediation, complex real estate appeal
Honors, Memberships, and Professional Activities
- Adjunct professor of law at Hastings College, 1991
- National Center for State Courts, 1981-1987
- California Commission on Judicial Performance, 1977-1988; Chair, 1981-1987
- The Center for Judicial Conduct Organizations, Board of Directors, 1985-1986
- President, American Justinian Society of Jurists, 1981
- Joint Resolution of Commendation, California State Legislature, 1976
- Distinguished Service Award, Santa Clara County Bar Association, 1976
- Trial Judge of the Year, California Trial Lawyers Association, 1976
- President, California Judges Association, 1975
- Advisory member, Executive Committee of Judicial Council of California, 1974-1975
Background and Education
- Presiding Justice, Court of Appeal, First Appellate District, Division, 1977-1991
- Associate Justice Pro Tem, California Supreme Court, assignments: 1978-1983, 1987-1989
- Judge, Superior Court of Santa Clara County, 1964-1977 (Member, Appellate Department, 1973 and 1974; Presiding Judge, 1971)
- J.D., Hastings College of Law, 1952
- B.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1949