Adding Tools and Content to your bSpace Course Website
Nov. 2011, Instructional Technology
ATTENTION: bSpace course websites will be created by end of day Friday, 12/16/11. Once created, student rosters are added to your course along with FSU’s and support staff. Student Rosters should be added to course websites on Wednesday 12/21/11. You will receive an email notification when official bSpace courses have been created.
To update or prepare your site before they are created, it is recommended that you update an older version of the course and import it into your new course. If you are teaching a new course, you can create a temporary course to prepare for the new semester. For more information read “Importing Course Materials Into Your New bSpace Course”
This Document will help you set up your bSpace course by adding tools, a syllabus, course resources and web links.
TIP: Always keep students informed updates to your bSpace site. If they don’t know you are using bSpace, they may not visit your course site.
Login to bSpace
- Visit bspace.berkeley.edu
- Click “Calnet”, in the upper right corner of the screen to login. The Calnet Login screen will appear.
- Type your Username and Password.
- Click Authenticate. The bSpace “Workplace” will appear.
Adding Additional Tools to Your bSpace Course.
- Click “Site Setup” under “Workspace Tools”. A list of your courses will appear.
- Check the box next to your course.
- Click “Edit” from the “Site Setup Menu” list above the courses. Course information will appear.
- Click “Edit Tools”. Course site tools will appear.
- Check boxes next to the tools you would like to add.
NOTE: All official bSpace courses should have the following boxes already checked: Home, Announcements, Assignments, Email Archive, Resources, Roster, Syllabus, Seating Chart.
- Click “Continue”. The “Add Multiple Tools Instances” page will appear.
- Fill out information about your tool.
- Click “Continue”. A list of confirmed tools will appear.
- Click “Finish”.
Add a Syllabus
- Click Syllabus in the left toolbar.
- Click the “Create/Edit’ link in the top toolbar to add your syllabus.
- Click the “Add” link in the top toolbar
- Enter a title for the syllabus in the Title field.
- Copy and paste OR type your syllabus in the Content field.
Tip: Use the text editor tools to format text, and add tables, images, and hyperlinks.
- Click “Add Attachments” towards the bottom of the screen to attach a file from your computer.
NOTE: You can attach a Syllabus as a .doc, .pdf, .rtf, or .txt document.
- Select from the Email Notification dropdown menu if you would like to alert students that a new syllabus has been added.
- To publish, click the “Post” button at the bottom of the screen.
Upload Files to Resources
Note: You can add any type of files to the Resources tool, such as PDFs, Word documents, images, and audio/video clips. You must add the Resource Tool to complete this task.
- Click on your course site tab.
- Click on the “Resources” tool in the left nav bar.
- Click the “Add” drop-down to the far right of the target folder.
- Click “Upload Files”, from the Add dropdown menu
- Click Browse to select a file to upload.
- Using your computer's file system, choose the file that you would like to open.
- Enter a title for the file in the Display Name field.
Tip: To set copyright information, or options to show and hide the file from students click, Add details for this item.
- Use the Email Notification dropdown to choose the type of email notification you want worksite participants to receive.
- When you are finished, click the “Upload Files Now “button.
- The file now appears in the list of Resources. If you chose to display the copyright notification, the copyright symbol will be visible next to the file name.
Link a Web Page to Resources Folder
- Click “Resources” in your site's toolbar.
- Click the “Add” drop-down on the same row as the folder where you would like to create a web page.
- Select “Create HTML Page” from the Add drop-down.
- Use the editing tools to compose your web page in the text area and click Continue.
- Enter the title in the "Name" field. It is recommended that you make the link's name as descriptive as possible.
Tip: To show and hide the link from students click, Add details for this item.
- You can choose whether to have members of your site emailed automatically when the new material is posted. Use the Email Notification dropdown to do so.
- When you are done, click the “Finish” button.
- The title of the material now appears in the list of Resources. The document icon to the left of the document name indicates that it is a plain text file.