Continuing Student Checklist
Note: This information applies to JD students only.
Entering first year or transfer students click here for the Entering Student Checklist.
- Submit the FAFSA by March 2. Required for any type of aid. This will allow us to offer you the basic loan package and provides us with financial information used in determining grants and scholarships. All citizens/permanent residents who apply are offered loans.
- Complete and submit the Supplemental Application for Need-Based Grants by March 2 if you are applying for need-based aid. Applications received after the deadline will be considered for need-based grants on a first-come first-served basis as funds remain available.
- Be sure to include complete parent information on the FAFSA and Supplemental Application unless you meet the criteria for independence.
- Start looking for University of California and outside agency scholarships. Take advantage of our new Scholarship Search to find scholarships with specific criteria or with upcoming deadlines.
- Submit the Expected Summer Earnings (ESE) Statement. This form is required (in addition to the FAFSA and Supplemental Application) before any grant offer can be made. Please note that any offer made based on this form is only an estimate. The Confirmed Summer Earnings (CSE) Statement, due in July (see below), will determine your actual eligibility and must also be submitted before the grant will pay.
- Check your financial aid offer through BearFacts. Students who submit all required information by the respective deadlines will generally be included in the first round of offer letters in early May.
- Non-Residents should submit the Statement of Legal Residence (available mid-April) through BearFacts by June 1st to establish residence for the following year. It is important that this be done early as processing can take up to several months. If you are currently a non-resident, you will be held responsible for paying non-resident fees until processing is complete, which may result in a reduced financial aid refund (or none at all).
- If you haven't already, sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer (available mid-April) to avoid waiting in long lines for your refund check.
- Accept any loans you wish to borrow through BearFacts.
- If you haven't already in a previous year at Boalt, complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note for Direct Stafford Loans at studentloans.gov if you plan to borrow federal loans.
- Submit the Confirmed Summer Earnings (CSE) Statement by July 15. The information on this form is used to verify your estimated eligibility for need-based grants and is therefore required before your grant will be "accepted" on BearFacts in order to pay to your CARS billing account.
- Check to ensure that all of the financial aid you accepted has paid to your CARS billing account before the August 15 fee payment deadline.
- If you are paying out of pocket, pay the fall portion of your fees through the e-bill system in BearFacts by August 15. If you wish to pay your fees in monthly installments, find out more about the Deferred Payment Plan.